Sign in to follow this  

Dirt tire virgin...

alright, got my DRZ-SM a set of dirt wheels in 18/21 flavor. got me a set of SM rotors, going to order a 44t sprocket to use my stock chain. now tire choice... cheap but not absolute garbage was the goal. more grip than a deathwing so i don't break a femur on wet grass, but not enough that they'll chunk on the street.

decided on Kenda K270, $30-45 ea, and they're not Cheng-Chit.

now the question... what size WIDTHS should i acquire? questions comments concerns?

thanks

-Zac

Tire in question: http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200_239_240

Front 3:00 X 21 or 80/100 X 21. Rear 110 or 120 / 100 or 90 X 18

In my opinion it is better to not go too wide.

I had those tires on and am going to go back to them. 3.25-21 front 5.10-18 rear.

going to get them from bike bandit i think, $35 shipping from americanmototire.com with 2 tubes... bike bandit is cheaper for the heavy duty airstop tubes, and cheaper for shipping and i've got $20 in gift cards from them from going to the vintage motorcycle days in ohio last year.

thinking about 3.25 for the front, and 4.5 for the rear. thinking about a little bit more volume for protecting the rim on the street vs. off road use. it'll likely see more hard packed railroad beds and service roads than soft or wet stuff(famous last words right....)

I run the Kenda Trakmaster II, K760. I never had it chunk on the road, although it may be a bit more off road oriented than you're looking for.

I run an 80/100/21 and a 120/100/21.