Sign in to follow this  

01 yz 426 race tech mid valve conversion?

what did i change on my fork performance by switching to a check valve instead of my stock mid valve stack. let me know if this theory makes sense. by looking at it the way i assume it works is the mid valve is what controls the amount of oil that is forced passed the compression stack at the bottom of the internal cartridge. in stock form i would think that the mid valve stack would not deflect to much and cause a harsh condition on small bumps. this would of course change with the speed of the suspension travel (faster more deflection and softer feel) but now that i switch to a check valve style mid valve i have very soft initial no matter what because the oil only has to defflect the spring to get full valve orfice flow. so this style mid valve would be better for a beginner, woods and play rider. the stock mid vave would reward a more aggressive rider IMO. so should i go back or keep what i have now.

you are right, but you can get it to work with a checkplate, try if first and see if you like it.

On the '01 forks for some kinds of riding (aggressive or otherwise) you may really like the check valve set up. Give it a whirl.

it does not matter if you use a check plate or a mid valve stack the same amount of fluid is displaced through the base valve stack .it is always exactly equal to the volume of fluid displaced by the rod entering the cartridge .mid valve restriction is force added in high speed shaft movements resulting from restricing the fluids path to fill in behind the rebound piston

ok so the mid valve stack will actually help add damping the forks stroke but only at higher stroke speeds?

pretty much ,unless its a very low float and rigid stack

ok so the mid valve stack will actually help add damping the forks stroke but only at higher stroke speeds?