Sign in to follow this  

Battery / Plastic stuff /seat questions

Just bought my first dirt bike, a box stock 06 DZR400S with 172 miles on it, after 14 long years of nothing but street riding. Can't wait to get it on a dirt road to check it out. First I have a battery question. The battery was replaced a few months ago with the OEM Suzuki unit and has been on a battery tender ever since. I've been reading about all the battery horror stories connected with this bike and want to know what kind of problems I might have in general. The bike will never sit more than 2 days and will get a good 5 to 10 mile ride at least 3 days a week here in sunny So Cal. Second, does anyone know where I can get a plastic disc cover for the front brake rotor. I've only found 2 covers so far and one is aluminum and the other carbon fiber. Third question, gel seats. I'm one of those short people with sort legs and I need a lower seat height so I can touch the ground a bit better. The last gel seat I sat on was soft, squishy and my butt moved around a lot, like I was going to slide off. Who makes the best shaved or gel seat that feels firm.

Thanks. Jim.

Regarding batteries, connect these four in series and substitute for your lead acid battery. Hey presto, problem solved 👍

http://cgi.ebay.com/A123-2300mah-4PCS-Li-Ion-Nano-Phosphate-Battery-8m_W0QQitemZ260573731390QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item3cab679a3e

Thats the short version anyway. There are more details on this board about this battery mod.

Edited by Svery

Dont know what brand gel seat you tried but I have what I believe is the factory replacement gel seat? The seat is quite firm...It came used on the bike and I am not short so have been looking for a stock seat to trade. If your interested pm me.

Stock battery will be fine. Read up on "Free Power" wire mod. Batteries have lasted me about 5 years.

I did not like the Suzuki low seat at all. Not sure why it is called gel. It was like siting on the seat base. Shave the original seal, much better.

Not sure why you want a rotor cover. Bling? They are useless for protection and protection really isn't needed. Sorry I don't know where you can get a plastic one.

Charge it up with a real 10 amp charger and keep it on a tender for sure. Sisneros Super Start Kit is the answer see FAQ.

Get a Corbin or Rendazco if you can afford it, way better than stock and 1" lower too.

Skip the rotor cover.

Not related to your original questions but if you plan on taking it in the dirt you need to seriously think about getting some knobbies on your wheels. The original tires aren't nicknamed "Death Wings" for no reason.