Sign in to follow this  

I Screwed up MAJOR!! Need help!

Ok im embarrased to say this. Somehow my air filter came off. like the entire cage and air filter and it was just sitting in my airbox. I rode for two days and it came off somewhere in those two days, the first day was dusty second wasnt. I never followed anyone when riding either.Probly rode for an 60-75 minutes total. inside the air boot i couldnt find hardly any dust/dirt or in the intace tract to the carb. I drained my engine oil and there wasnt anything abnormal in there, I have a stainless filter so i can see. Just the usual small metal particeles, clutch matter etc. My bike still had amazing power all day today and started fine. I am so pissed off I did this. I have not pulled the head off im here looking for advice. i have rebuilt all my bikes before and am very mechanically inclined But apparently im retarded as well. i need help what i could have done to my motor. Im just guessing but I would think i would have sandblasted the shit out of my valves. I could pull the head and throw a new piston, rings etc and hone the cylinder. i would rather do that then have the thing explode. I need help please and thank you. But i beleive my bike is fine considering it ran amazing all day!!

Edited by MxPro83

Ok im embarrased to say this. Somehow my air filter came off. like the entire cage and air filter and it was just sitting in my airbox. I rode for two days and it came off somewhere in those two days, the first day was dusty second wasnt. I never followed anyone when riding either.Probly rode for an 60-75 minutes total. inside the air boot i couldnt find hardly any dust/dirt or in the intace tract to the carb. I drained my engine oil and there wasnt anything abnormal in there, I have a stainless filter so i can see. Just the usual small metal particeles, clutch matter etc. My bike still had amazing power all day today and started fine. I am so pissed off I did this. I have not pulled the head off im here looking for advice. i have rebuilt all my bikes before and am very mechanically inclined But apparently im retarded as well. i need help what i could have done to my motor. Im just guessing but I would think i would have sandblasted the shit out of my valves. I could pull the head and throw a new piston, rings etc and hone the cylinder. i would rather do that then have the thing explode. I need help please and thank you. But i beleive my bike is fine considering it ran amazing all day!!

Check your valve clearance. If they're still in spec, you're probably good...but I'd check the piston and cylinder for scarring as well. And depending on the hours, you may be better off to change them anyway 👍

Running without an air filter IMO is like shaving accelerated hours off of engine life. That one hour probably took off 10-20 hours on the life of the piston, maybe not. Hard to say without pulling it apart.

If I were you, and this is just what I would do and not necessarily the correct information, is that I would keep on riding it. Especially so if the top end was just done, until compression drops or your valves start showing the appropriate clearance to warrant a valve job, why rip it apart?

If you are worried about it..grab some gaskets and pull it apart....if nothing is wrong atleast you have a piece of mind.........good luck....

same thing happened on my 125 a long time ago. your probably good. but Id definately check the piston and cylinder like said before.

3 of 4 valves were in spec but I hadnt checked them before as its a brand new bike. Maybe 4 hours. I shimmed all valves so they are on the looser end of the scale and it fired up first kick. It ran top drawer when I shut it down before I found this air filter screw up. So I think im good!