Is the XR 150 the same as the CRF 150?

So my dad and I have been wondering if the old XR 150 is basically the same bike as a CRF 150F?

What changes did they make if any?

And also, what are the differences between the CRF 150F and the 150R?

Are you sure about your question? Not a typo? I've been riding Honda's my entire life and don't recall an XR150 model. I believe the CRF150 was created to fill the gap between the old XR100 and XR200 models. It was an excellent decision by Honda. Honda still uses the XR and SL prefixes in some other countries for similar bikes sold here in the states and elsewhere.

I don't think there is one thing similiar on the 150R and 150F besides maybe rim size if you have the expert. Other than that, completely different bikes.

Tell your Dad that Honda never made an XR150 and that he was having a "senior moment". My son tells me that sort of thing all the time these days 👍

the motor is similar to an xr200 witch similar to an sl100, sl125 so the motor can be traced back to 1971

Why don't they just call the CRF 150R a CR 150F? isn't that the standard thing to do with 4 stroke racers? because the CRF badge makes me think it's not a race bike.

But, sometimes manufactures go crazy with their naming schemes.

The R and the F are 2 completely different animals. The R is a liquid cooled bike with real MX upside down forks and a rear suspension designed for racing. The F is meant to be a trail bike. It has electric start and a completely different engine than the R model. Hope that clears it up.

Why don't they just call the CRF 150R a CR 150F? isn't that the standard thing to do with 4 stroke racers? because the CRF badge makes me think it's not a race bike.

WHAT!?!?! Not race bikes?! You, my friend, you need to do some homework.... Not race bikes....

honda race bikes are crf r

trail bikes crf f

your thinking of kawis

they had kx250 two stokes, and when they whent to 4 stroke they had kx250f

WHAT!?!?! Not race bikes?! You, my friend, you need to do some homework.... Not race bikes....

you my friend, you need to read what he wrote

I read what he wrote. Again. And again. And again. To the best of my knowledge he said that the 150r should be a CR because it's a race bike.

I read what he wrote. Again. And again. And again. To the best of my knowledge he said that the 150r should be a CR because it's a race bike.

ya but that's not what you said

Ok for the last time! He said that it should be a CR because its a race bike! He said that when he see's it's a CRF it makes him think it's not a race bike! End of Story.

American Honda had a brain fart early in this decade and created confusion in model labels from what was previously well understood. XRs were trail bikes and CRs were track bikes, now everything four stroke is a CRFxxxF/R/X; stupid.

What i think Honda should have done. And all bike makers in general. is have a racing line. i.e. CR 250, RM 250 , KX 250, and YZ 250 for two strokes. THEN, if they have a fours stroke vairant, name it the CR 250F as in four.

For trail bikes. have a different line with different letters. have a XR 230 or whatever. So have two distinct lines: Racing, and Off-road.

I like what Suzuki has done. They have their RM line, with a RM-Z four stroke variant. And for off road, a DR-Z line. Yamaha has done the same with the YZ and TT-R's