Won't rev pass half throttle

2001 XR 400 r.

Took my bike out of storage. I had it stored with and empty tank - no fuel. Put some hightest in and took the bike out for a ride up and down the road and it ran fine. Then I changed the the oil and over filled it by mistake. Took it out for about 4 minute up and down the road, realized the mistake when checking the oil level at the end of the road took it back to the garage and lowered it to the appropriate level. After another ride down the road and back the bike started having trouble revving passed half throttle. Took the carb out and took the float bowl off, took the jet out and did a general clean up of the whole carb. Nothing that dirty. Put it all back together and same problem. Revs half way and then starts to backfire and cut out. Works perfect for first half of throttle turn. Any ideas on what it could be. Could I off clogged something while it had to much oil in it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

So the tank was empty while stored, what about the float bowl? If you left any in it, things could be gummed up. You didn't say in this post that this was your first time at cleaning a carb. You need to take the main and pilot jets out and clean them. Should probably clean the fuel screw passage too. Plus check/set float height while you have it apart.

How do you have your crankcase vent routed?

Edited by Trailryder42