Arm pump:(

the compound stuff is best to focus on, like pushups, pullups, rows. If you have a particular weak link then you can add in lifts to address that weak link. I find that working on grip and forearm strength really helps me with fatigue and also it feels like I put a stabilizer on. So for that(grip/forearm), I use free weights to begin with(you use more handstrength to hold onto them), and dont' use straps. Stuff like deadlift is good because you have to hold onto that heavy weight with your hands, and I'll stand at the top last rep and hold onto that weight as long as I can to work my hands/forearms. ALso you can switch to pinch gripping a weight plate for a lift instead of a barbell, like for rows--it's just plain harder to pinch grip.

That said, when I ride I dont' use a death grip--hold it relaxed. That death grip is BAD for arm pump!

PS, I should say hold the bars relaxed as default setting with death grip as needed:D

i agree with the above ..often times it is a riders grip..a relaxed muscle is a quicker muscle..relax and this will help...if u dont workout harder than u ride u r wrong...your gym workouts should by far exceed anything u will face on the track during a practice session or a race..period...if u r in shape u will be able to practice on the track longer thus learning more about u and your bike..make the practice day hard and exceed anything u may face on race day..reverse forarm,forarm curls..any type of gripper such as a tennis ball..work them heavy for many sets..heavy is 10 to 15 reps..listen to your body and it will tell u when u have had enough..i have my son work his grip 3x aday 3 days a week...

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I frequently got severe pain in my forearm after riding a while. I started using the spring grip exercisers. It took a couple of months to build up strength but I have yet to have any appreciable arm pain while riding. Friends with me complain of "arm pump" pain and I have to respond -- what pain?

Hint, I keep a grip exerciser in my car/van on the dashboard or center console to remind me to exercise while driving (or to be safe while in the car but stopped).