2009 CRF450R broken crankshaft

I have an '09 CRF450R with less than 6 hours on it that has a broken crankshaft. The bike was purchased mid January of this year and has never been raced nor have I done any engine mods. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? Took it to the dealer and they are going to see if Honda will pay for the repairs...they are doubtful Honda will do anything with it being a race bike(apparently Honda does not offer any type of warranty at all on race bikes). Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated!

th_IMG_2041.jpg

th_IMG_2032.jpg

th_IMG_2031.jpg

Just keep pushing honda! If the service department says nothing can be done, have them talk to honda techline. If techline states that they can do nothing, have the service manager talk to honda's district service manager (they can override what techline says.). I would also request to talk to the district service manager also. MAKE SURE TO BRING DOCUMENTATION OF OIL CHANGES, RECEIPTS, DATES & HOURS OF MAINT., ETC.... (They will require it.). By the way, Built to spill rocks! Saw them for the uptheenth time a couple of months ago (with the butthole surfers........don't ask, they were BAD....).

Thanks for all the feedback. I have it up at the dealer waiting for their tech to inspect it. The bike has never been worked on(other than changing the oil & cleaning the air filter). The shaft broke right at the nut that holds the FW in place. Does anyone know if the stress from the weight of the flywheel when the bike is revved could have caused this? (I find it hard to believe someone at the factory over torqued it seeing how they assemble these bikes everyday and honda has such a good reputation) Thanks again for the replies!

BTW, Built To Spill is a great band with a killer sound--been a fan of them for 15 years. If you haven't heard of them check them out on itunes. They are one of the few bands with real musicians still cranking out good tunes. Good of you to notice screnshaw.

• 3 weeks later...

Honda has been gracious enough to pick up the cost of the parts. The dealer is working with me and gave me a break on the labor costs. Its great that Honda stepped up to the plate to cover this, seeing how there was no type of warranty. That is why I continue to buy Honda products!

My route would have been to DEMAND that honda pay for EVERYTHING. You just shelled out a lot of money to have them say that they will just pay for parts, which is the least expensive part of the job. If you can wrap your mind around the price of the crank/etc.... the parts are around maybe 200 bucks at max (how much honda is paying). I just would go down there and explain that you are really happy with the bike and there is no reason that a crank should break. The biggest thing is that you have to be excessively persistent about them covering the whole thing, and you will take your business elsewhere and tell everyone you know if they don't! All the companies do this as the first line to get the customer out of their hair, and if you keep annoying them, you can get them to cover the whole thing. I had a similar situation with yamaha that I was dealing with (used to handle warranty for a LONG time) and this guy brought in a 08 yzf r6 that was obviously raced on a track with 46 miles on it and threw a rod bearing. The district service manager started laughing when he saw the bike (Ohlins shock, ohlins forks, marchesini wheels, rear sets, you name it, it had it). After this guy bitched up a storm, yamaha agreed to pay for parts. This guy kept on yamaha and finally to get him out of their hair, they said to the terms of f$#k it, we will fix it. So my suggestion to you is just keep being a pain in honda's arse, and it might work out. Good luck!