Sign in to follow this  

how to swap out a crank?

is there a video, or a walkthrough somewhere that guides you through replacing a crf450 crank.

I have a feeling thats the weak item in my bike and is the next to go, I just want to make sure I know how to do it before it does happen.

I am very very intimidated by doing a crank change. ive taken my engine 75% of the way apart but just not sure what else needs to be done in order to get to the crank.

I am easily capable of taking the top end off, piston + cylinder, complete clutch assembly, water pump assembly, and flywheel. anything after that ive never done before so im sure it will be a learning/expensive experience like always!!

so what else needs to be taken off/apart in order to swap out a crank on a crf450? im not too sure/confident about pulling the engine out of the frame, and taking apart the left side (flywheel, stator, oil pump, etc...)

thanks.

You basically need to pull the motor, strip it down completely and split the cases, i did it on my 03 when the crank shat itself, best bet is to get a service manual and its all in there, itll take a bit of time but once its been done, working on it will be a breeze from then on..

You basically need to pull the motor, strip it down completely and split the cases

yes. thats very obvious and I completely understand that.

what im looking for is a fairly more detailed explanation as to what needs to be taken apart and in what order. and any little tips or tricks and dos/donts. I can take the top end off as well as whole clutch (right side), but its the left side that kind of confuses me.

I have a manual, its a clymer, im not a big fan of it. im sure there is a video somewhere that guides you through the whole process, im sure Ive seen one while looking for cranks one night but cant find it now.

Screw that Clymer manual. Its a joke. Buy the Service Manual. Its not cheap, but its worth every dime.

My suggestion would be to leave everything in the rightside case you can and just swap out the crank if you didnt want to tear it completely down. Everything can stay in the right side. You just need to figure out a way to hold the case up and still give yourself some access to the under side.

i allways write down everything i take off, and put it in a line on the table, and put the bolts in plasticbags, labelled, for instance "engine right hand side"

then, when assembling, just go backwards on your list, and its a piece of cake.

i allways write down everything i take off, and put it in a line on the table, and put the bolts in plasticbags, labelled, for instance "engine right hand side"

then, when assembling, just go backwards on your list, and its a piece of cake.

I 2nd that, can't use enough baggies to organize the parts. Also, the factory service manual is a must, and is very detailed about how to go about it. It's also helpful to get all the parts before hand so that you spend less time waiting for parts, and forgetting how it all goes back together.... Be sure to use assembly lube on all moving parts on reassembly. If it also helps, take pictures while you're disassembling so that you can go back and look at them to help you put it back together.

perfect, thanks a lot for all the help guys, I really like camp's idea about only taking one side apart! makes me feel much better about the whole thing.