Sign in to follow this  

Honda CM450C Problems

I bought this bike a few days ago (1982) and I was excited about it - 11k miles - excellent shape. While riding home all lights cut out but the engine keeps running! It was 9:30 at night. Needless to say my legs got a workout when I got closer to home as I decided to walk it. I live right next to the police station. Anyways, I am having a hard time finding the problem. The fuses for the lights are ok, but there is no power going to them. I suspect the rectifier has a problem, but I cant tell. I think it could be the starter. Note the battery was weak when I bought it and I was accelerating when the lights went out. HELP!

If you lost the rectifier the battery won't charge. Start it up and check the voltage on the battery posts. Should be 12.5-15 vdc.

Is it just one light (the headlamp) or all of the lights?

If just the headlamp and the rectifier is fine, you may have lost a headlamp, normal wear. If you lost all lights, see whats common. Can you get a manual downloaded? A schematic?

The battery has been slowly dying and all lights went out - everything. That includes the electric start. The only thing that still works is power going to the spark plugs. Very strange..

Thanks for the tip.

The battery has been slowly dying and all lights went out - everything. That includes the electric start. The only thing that still works is power going to the spark plugs. Very strange..

Thanks for the tip.

It doesn't take much dc current to make a spark. Although some electric systems like the old Suzuki "Digital Ignitor" system takes quite a bit of power to get them to start sparking.

Sounds like a rectifier. Check the voltage at the post when running.