questions on painting my cr250?

so im painting my 1991 cr250 and i need to know how to properly do it.. should i use primer first and how many coats? how many coats of paint? how long to let it dry between coats of paint and primer? and how should i go about painting the plastics? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

so im painting my 1991 cr250 and i need to know how to properly do it.. should i use primer first and how many coats? how many coats of paint? how long to let it dry between coats of paint and primer? and how should i go about painting the plastics? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

This is the way I paint metal... Works for me.

Sand blast the frame. Find someone, trust me, it's the best way to prep a motorcycle frame for painting. 3 to 6 coats of primer (Dark primer for dark paint, light primer for light color paint), lightly applied. Wait about an hour between coats. Depending on how I want finish to look dictates how many coats of paint. Usually on a dirt bike though I go 3-4 coats. Wet sand whole thing before my last coat of color. Then clear coat 3-4 layers.

This is the way I paint my plastics... Works for me.

First, you want to remove the shine from the plastic so the paint will adhere.

Get some Scotch-Brite Abrasive Hand Pads found in the automotive section.

Clean your plastic with ordinary dish soap and warm water and let it air dry. Then rub it down with rubbing alcohol to remove any residual oils.

Use adhesion promoter,primer designed specifically for plastic, and add plastic flex agent to your paint.

Some info for you...

http://www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en_US/products_services/paintCoatings/plasticExterior.html#Adhesion_Promoter

Good luck, and FYI Add up all the costs to paint it right compared to new plastics. Sometimes you can get plastics on e-bay cheaper than the cost to paint it right.

Good luck

👍