lots of torque

no mixing gas

seems to handle pretty well but haven't had it on a track yet

even power through the whole range

little to no chance of low speed stall

250r

like the Power band

starts a whole lot easier

easy to maintain ( no valves to adjust )

tuning seems to be set and forget for mine at least

lighter

Dislikes

450r

starts hard

seem to have to mess with carb tuning alot

maintenance

a bit heavier wears on the arms with alot of riding

gets hott alot faster

250R

mixing gas

low end torque for trails a little low

a little less handling ability

a little trickyer to manage

All in all the likes I have in one the other doesn't have

I will be trail and track riding but not sure about racing yet.

I really dont need 2 bikes so I need to decide which to keep and which in yours guys opinions would be best for what I am out for. I just cant decide. If I do keep the 2t over the 4 I wont replace it with a newer model mainly cause Honda doesn't make 2t anymore ( should this be a deciding factor on keeping 2t?) Since I haven't track riden either yet which one will benefit me the most for track and trail?

Thanks

Jason

keep the 2 stroke

you will regret it if you sell it, you can always get another 4 stroke if you want to.

cr 250 is cheaper to maintain and run and a good allrounder and if the 4 stroke blows its big bucks

the 2000 cr 250 was a awesome year for the cr's so keep it

Yea, the 2000 CR is a sweet bike. I just sold my 01 CR for a new KTM 250 SX. I really wanted a new bike, but quite frankly the old CR was very competitive with anything out there. The two mods that really helped my CR were:

1. a 12 OZ flywheel weight (I bought it for trails, but ended up leaving it on the bike for everything, as it worked so well)

2. a JD jet kit (your bike has the better carb, so you might not need this)

Also, a suspension revalve can work wonders on those bikes if you are using it primarily offroad.

I am really shocked that there is no favors towards a 4 stroke??? Isn't that the now and everyone has one?

Jason

Who wants a 4t?🤣 They are the "yesterday", being used in the "now".....👍

the 250 has plenty of torque, you just need to adjust your gearing. And is it really that hard to mix gas..... a whole 15 seconds to pour and shake?

I would keep the 2 stroke for sure. The 450s are always evolving and if u want u can get a new 450 down the road that is way better than your 2003. However it will be hard to find new two strokes soon and they arent much different now than your CR.

no mixing gas isnt that hard it is just more convenient to fuel and go.

As for which makes me 👍 most. I realy cant decide I like them both alot.

I am still surprised there isn't any 4t fans.

Is there much difference in my 03 compared to say a 06-08?

I am not a fan of the EFI CRFs they offer now as just like cars they start screwing with making everything EFI they make it harder to work on yourself.

I am tempted just to keep the CR and sell the crf and get a newer model but curious if there really is any benefit to the newer over mine. I know the frame is a bit smaller but engine and suspension is there any difference??

Thanks

Jason

I too am surprised there has not been more response from 4-Strokers, given that this is a General Area on ThumperTalk! 🤣

Unless that many guys really feel like 2-Strokes are going to some how make a comeback... I would think there would be tons of responses from folks singing the praises of the 4-Stroke.

Hmmm... maybe no answer or real stance from the 4-Stroker owners... Is your answer. 👍

I was a rabid smoker's advocate. However, I found this YZ250F and like it better - enough to even (gasp) sell my YZ250 🙂. In fact, I think it makes a great trail bike. Never ridden a CRF450 so can't say much. The whole idea that one is VASTLY better than the other brand/stroke wise is SILLY.🤣

When you ride a bike you like it irregardless of brand/stroke. 👍

Unless that many guys really feel like 2-Strokes are going to some how make a comeback...

I think this would be secondary when compared to riding the preferences of a lot of riders.

Plus, in order for 2 strokes to make a "comeback", we would have to buy them brand new in order to drive sales, while no one bought 4 strokes. Most of us have older used bikes.

Yes, there are that many people that prefer 2 strokes, but it is just that....we prefer 2 strokes. No hidden agenda to dismantle the 4 stroke world or anything of the sort.

Yeah, you gotta hand it to the people at ktm and husky, making their 2-t's newer and better every coulple of years, if not every year. How long until they cant make 2-t's anymore?

its a shameful thing to think about.

Whatever you feel more comfortable on, and makes you really enjoy the day most.

thats what u keep.

i'm a 2 or 4t fan, for different reasons.

go with yourt favorite.

asking people on the internet is biased every time..

i had the exact same problem. it really depends if you want power or a lighter bike. i went with the cr 250. that is mostly because im only 14 but im 5'7 and 200 pounds. the 250 still has more than enough power for me.

Hmm, I am in the same boat as shrub, I ended up getting rid of my 2t and picked up a 4t 450 and have been having a ball with it! I guess the whole reason is that I have never spent as much seat time in one before picking it up. I love the 450 for the GOBS of torque, no need to constantly be shifting up/down to find the sweet spot and it starts as easy as my 2t. I was always under the idea that the 4t starts hard when hot, but this thing is a one kick start without using my hot start. Maybe you should check the valve clearances on the 450. I will still eventually get another 2t for the grin factor, but damn! this 4t is so much easier to ride! Mine is an 05 and I really don't notice the weight as much as other people say they do.

Well by tomorrow this thread may be outdated. AMainMaker may be trading the 2000 250R for a 2005 CRF 450. So then he will have the quandary of "What bike to keep? 2003 CRF 450 or 2005 CRF 450.

I will probably buy what he does not keep 👍

Well I went ahead and got rid of the 250. I will probably miss it but the bike I got in exchange will be very nice will very little money.

Jason