1990 yz250wr restoration

Ive been checking out this site for awhile, haven't posted anything til now. definitely some useful stuff on here... But do you guys see alot of older yz's on this forum? if so, what do you got?? I'm doing a restoration job on my '90 wide ratio (awesome bike, put it through some serious abuse over the years...) just got the frame powdercoated, rebuilt the top end, starting to get the swingarm in. Trying to bring it back to it's origional glory, plus a few choice upgrades. If anybody's interested I'll post some pics, thanks!

• Like 3

Very interested.

The WR250 two strokes IMO are rare bikes that need to have more photo's posted on this forum. There was a great WR250 2T pic thread a little while back, but it'd be awesome if you could post a pic of yours.

Plenty of people here own pre 00 bikes.

• Like 1

I have a '96 WR250 in the garage right now. I really like riding it. Great, smooth power and huge gas tank. I am thinking about a complete restoration next winter. Powder coating the frame, new plastics and possibly custom graphics.

Definitely post some pics of your ride when you can.

i have a 92 i did a total resto on it.

bought it new even , spent a lot on the resto but was worth every penny.

in the process of making it a dual sport now, got a extra set of wheel that will be white and have the blinkers on it now, just not wired up yet but working on it in my spare time.

can't wait to hit the payment with it .

check it out in my garage.

sweet. yeah I'll post some pics this weekend.. hopefully when it's done I can donate some good ones to the site. I wish I had some good pics of the bike before I tore it down, but then again, maybe not, when I bought it (600$) it ran & shifted great, but was missing side panels and number plate, footpegs were both bent 90*, exhaust was held up with wire.. it was real ugly. I continued to ride it into the ground, crashed it a few times, flipped it over, etc. until the engine needed a rebuild. so, that leaded to total bike resto of course..

Everything's gonna be stock yamaha stuff exept the wiseco top end, ported intake & exhaust, boyensen reeds, FMF fatty & powercore silencer. Also getting the origional style graphics made by GMX.

and that '92 is sweet... I wish I could afford to set mine up that nice. Almost..

Broken power valve!

Nice, how long until she's together?

haha. Once I get the stuff I ordered It should only take a couple weekends (the only time I get to work on my bike..) before It's done. Can't wait to get it back together and tear up the trails. I will be selling or trading it early in the summer though unfortunately.. I'm gonna need a car ūüĎć

• 9 years later...

Hey fellas. Not sure why I havnt posted my build. I have a 1990 yz250wr completely rebuilt and currently race. If you guys have any questions on what you should do or what parts you want to put on let me know. Everything rebuilt. 38mm carb. Tuned w 110 race gas. Mx33 tires. Seat cover. All bearings. Oversized handle bars. Top end. Fly wheel weight. Carbon reeds. Pipe polished. Custom graphics. Front/ rear shocks serviced. Forks adjusted. Chain/ sprockets. Clutch. Plastics. Hoses and cables. Petcock/ fuel. Oversized radiators. This has been a 3 year project for me and just about done. Just keeping up w regular maintenance at this point. 

BA347BC2-F6F1-4121-A256-E37E69954222.jpeg

4311BEA8-1EAF-4BAE-B9F1-21E6FE6DE77F.jpeg

38765566-C691-4EA7-A320-ABB148759365.jpeg

F3C69217-18A2-4DA1-95E1-A5210DFFA008.jpeg

D8F9006B-CB2C-43CD-B866-C1FABE246512.jpeg

Edited by Aleach100
  • Like 6

Good thread, I always love seeing WR threads, and showing mine off a little!  Heres my 97, my trusty steed, done a ton of work to make it more modern, updated to 96-01 plastics/subframe, lectron carb, KTM front light/fender, and lots of other things including meticulous maintenance.  I ride out in the AZ desert, and this bike is perfect for it, It doesnt like the dunes too much however, but its been incredibly reliable, and unbelievably fun, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

Heres the most recent pic of it

IMG-5939.jpg

IMG-5689.jpg

Heres when I first got it a few years back

Screen-Shot-2019-05-14-at-7-48-34-PM.png

• Like 2

How tall are you bro? You might want to get a new seat... that seat seems way way you low! Seats that are saddled that low I can see being helpful in trial situations but if your just trail riding and tooling around you might want to get that higher lol

7 hours ago, Aleach100 said:

How tall are you bro? You might want to get a new seat... that seat seems way way you low! Seats that are saddled that low I can see being helpful in trial situations but if your just trail riding and tooling around you might want to get that higher lol

Not sure if this was towards me, but I'm 6-1", seats perfect height, and I stand 99% of the time anyways ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bikerbill2021 said:

Good thread, I always love seeing WR threads, and showing mine off a little!  Heres my 97, my trusty steed, done a ton of work to make it more modern, updated to 96-01 plastics/subframe, lectron carb, KTM front light/fender, and lots of other things including meticulous maintenance.  I ride out in the AZ desert, and this bike is perfect for it, It doesnt like the dunes too much however, but its been incredibly reliable, and unbelievably fun, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

IMG-5939.jpg

IMG-5689.jpg

I'd be interested to hear about that sub frame swap. I love how the stock plastics look but sourcing them is not fun.

14 minutes ago, smirmeister said:

I'd be interested to hear about that sub frame swap. I love how the stock plastics look but sourcing them is not fun.

Sub frame is off a 99 YZ250, was a bit of a squeeze, but I tried to do it with out cutting anything off or bending anything too excessive, but it will work, and once that's on there its solid, been riding and beating the hell out of it for over 3 years that way now.  The only downside to this update was losing the larger WR tank, I attempted to use a larger capacity 96-01 Clarke tank, but it hit the triple tree, so I had to use the stock capacity 96-01 tank.  However it wasn't a big deal, I swapped the petcock over so I could get my "reserve" tank, and with the combo of running AVGAS and using that Lectron carb, the bike is way more fuel efficient, so it worked out fine.  The pros def out weigh the cons, bike looks better, ergonomics feel better, and its just a nice way to breath some modern-ness into the old girl.  I hated the way the 94-97 WRs looked, too bubbly, the older 89-90s looked great, and are similar to the 96-01 style, so that's what I wanted, and after some research and experimentation, found it worked. 

Sourcing plastics wasn't too bad, found everything I needed off EBAY, some of it NOS, some of it aftermarket UFO etc, and the tank was a stock capacity Clarke tank in black.  Wasn't too bad in terms of price, the tank was the most expensive b/c it was new, but I wanted a new tank, and one in black, if you went with blue or w/e color the 96-01 came in you could find a used tank for cheaper and save some money that way.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 9:57 PM, bikerbill2021 said:

Good thread, I always love seeing WR threads, and showing mine off a little!¬† Heres myÔĽŅ 97, my trusty steed, done a ton of work to make it more modern, updated to 96-01 plastics/subframe, lectron carb, KTM front light/fender, and lots of other things including meticulous maintenance.¬† I ride out in the AZ desert, and this bike is perfect for it, It doesnt like the dunes too much however, but its been incredibly reliable, and unbelievably fun, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

IMG-5939.jpg

IMG-5689.jpg

That's awesome man. Great job!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, smirmeister said:

How much? And is you time worth it?

I would hazard a guess saying that the brakes and all suspension components have been neglected and will need a complete overhaul.

I traded a car I wouldn't have gottin 500 for.

This has a new rebuilt bored motor. Done by the guy who was before the guy I got it from. He painted it black ugly lol.

Someone local has some plastics for me. Suspension? I wouldnt know.

Bushings? Shocks seem to work fine. Front forks are not leaking. Again wouldn't know the history.

• Bryan II changed the title to 1990 yz250wr restoration