my son needs a new bike

He is currently riding a XR80r. He is just about to blow the thing up he pushes it so hard. I am looking to get his a bigger bike but not surewhich route to go.

he is 11 and around 90 pounds.

I was thinking a CR85 or a CRF150R but am afraid it may be a bit to much for him.

Is there somthing in between that I could get that is track worthy. I though about maybe a XR100 but he will only be gaining a bit more bike size and very little motor. A 65 is to small for him as in bike size.

he likes kawasakis too if there is something from them that would be beter too any info would be great.

Thanks

Jason

well when I was growing into bigger bikes my parents got one so my feet were about an inch from touching the ground, worked out fairly well. I know kawasaki makes a 85 2t and a 125 4t comprable to a ttr125, klx125 i think its called. If you think a 125 4t trail is to big, suzuki makes somthing called a jr80, or at least they used to. It is a 5 speed 2stroke with a clutch and has a good bit of speed, not a race bike though-easy to ride trail bike.

get a kx 85, it has a powervalve unlike the yz and cr which makes the bike easier to ride.

a xr 100 or ttr125 is barely a increase in power and is a waste of time

he should be fine on a 85 with some help

You can't go wrong with any of the 85 smokers. They are light weight (even my 70lb kid can pick his up), and have great brakes and suspension. They are also bulletproof if you keep the air filter clean and run a quality 32:1 premix. In fact, other than the air filter, the 85 smokers don't really need any more maintenance than a hard-ridden 4 stroke playbike. The crf 150r might also be a choice, but the weight, noise, and risk of major $$$ engine repair would scare me off.

Quite frankly, I would stay away from the KLX, CRF (XR), and TTR bikes if your son is fast and wants to develop his skills as a rider. I used to let my son (who is fast) race both real race bikes (65s and 85s), and the 4 stroke playbikes. Even though his speeds were much higher on the smokers, I was always scared to death when he raced those playbikes. They just don't have the suspension or brakes to be ridden hard, and the weigh so much. I no longer let him ride the playbikes, and we sold our xr 100, klx 110, and drz 125. He currently rides a CR 85 (small wheel), which we are quite happy with. Like I said above however, all the 85 smokers are nice, and I would buy on condition and price rather than brand.

We are going through the same thing with our 12 year old. He weighs about 90 lbs and is 5'3". He currently is riding a TTR125 big wheel. It's size is good, but by this fall he will out grow it both in size and performance. I like the CFR150, but I'm not buying new for him and they don't come cheap used.

We are headed towards a KX100 or YZ125.

The 125 will have to be lowered, have the fly wheel changed out and new exhaust to take out the high end. When he grows, we can remod it back to a full 125. We should get a few years out of this bike.

I would first go to a dealer and just have him sit and try out every bike their. See what feels the best and fits the best. A 2 stroke is going to be a big jump up if it's racing.

When I was 14 and weighed about 120 my friend told me to ride his kx60. That little thing killed me! I'm sure because it was so small that I had difficulty riding it... and I had never ridden a 2 stroke in my life but it is fast. Trust me, he's going to be scared if he hits that powerband and crashes. My brother crashed by hitting the powerband and flipping back on his butt... he was kinda nervous to ride it a year later with the unpredictable factor.

EDIT: I forgot that he has ridden before so a 2 stroke isn't going to be to bad.

I have (will be selling) a drz125l and that was a great bike. The power was predictable and the bike didn't weigh to much compared to my other friends klx140l. That is extremely heavy... I think I checked and I think it was as much as a 250! Now I've got a klx300r.

What you want to do is probably go for a bike that will last him long enough to be able to jump up to a 250 size bike, but not to much that he won't want to ride it or hurt himself.

Anyway, go to a dealer and check them out. Ask some questions and find the right bike.

An exhaust washer (fender washer, about $30 at a hardware store) is installed between the exhaust port and head pipe, some times in place of the gasket

This allows the intake charge to enter the cyl at a slower rate and any that makes it's way into the head pipe will not be reflected back into the cyl.

Between the combination of these two effects, the bike won't perform as well as intended and thus makes less power.

My experience is it smokes a lot more as well. But it's a good tool to get a child used to a new bike

and you can't beat the price.

Ahh I see kind of like the exhaust reducer my 98 LT80 quad had. What are the dimensions of the washer innner and outer? this is a great idea cause I was a bit sceptical about buying a 2t for him but if htis will help him cope wiht the snap of the power at first then it would be great.

I did take him to the local dealer and he fits just right on a 85 and a 150 small wheel not expert. He can just tip touch. which is how I am on my 250 and 450. It took me a while to get used to the 2t snap to as I went from a 230F to a CR250R. I just learned to hang my head over the bars and sit as close to the tank as possible. No I sit forward but no hangin over the bars as I am now used to the snap and how to predict it. He can alwasy learn to not lay the hammer down at first too. shift early and ride it like a 4t.

well keep it coming

thanks

Jason

oe2x: your son is the same age and wieght i went to a 125 from a 1254t, and a bit taller. Don't put too much emphasis on height, even he can't touch the ground he will get used to it. The bike will perform so much better that he wont care about touching the ground...

Edited by 2strokezuke