Buying out of state DRZ. Tag/plating, legal questions

Guys, it finally seems like I'll be able to buy a bike but before I start looking, I'd like to ask. If I buy a bike that is tagged in another state, is there going to be some kind of problem getting tagged in NC and if so, WHICH states should I avoid?

I'm not much for paperwork and dumb as $hit when it comes to it so I would like this to go smoothly.

In short, what's involved and how much does it cost?

Thanks

George

Assuming you're talking about a true dirtbike with an off road only destination on the bill of sale or title, if someone else (in another state) has done the leg work, you're good. It's getting the paperwork of a dirtbike past the DMV in NC that's just about impossible anymore, it used to be one of the easier states. But that will be a non-issue for you bringing one in that's already been tagged elsewhere. Also won't matter what state you get it from provided the title is clear, all you'll be doing now is transfering it to here through the DOT in Raleigh. Some states are better than others for allowing this so you might wanna look at those to find a tagged one, Tn and Ma are good one to start. My son just bought a YZ450 to set up as a street supermoto from a guy that had tagged it already up near DC.

I just did an out of state transfer on a vehicle today.. If you have a clear title from DRZ Im supposing its an s or sm model which is street legal. Have it filled out properly with signitures from seller and buyer. You will need $5 cash for dmv notary and pay taxes and license fees.. Taxes are 3% and title transfer. Dont know what title transfer costs. You can have a written buyers agreement but not necissary. Taxes will be figured on amount paid thats written on the title....Oh and dont forget to get insurance if you want to get tag. Not necissary for just a title transfer....Hope that helps...

Read the title it will explain how to fill it out....

Thanks guys. So bottom line, if it's already tagged in ANY state to be street legal, all I have to do is some transfer paper work and pay the fees?

How long does that take?

THanks

GEorge

Yes,if it has a street legal title from another state,it will be no problem...Depending how long you have to stand in line at the DMV...About 10 minutes. You will have to wait on a new title, that has to be sent to Raleigh,but you will be issued a new title in a week or 2. You will get the tag right there... Dont forget the cash for notary.....You dont have to get an inspection for the first year....I went ahead and did my vehicle inspection first then went to DMV. The lady told me I got the first year without inspection. My inspection would be this time a year from now.....