Sign in to follow this  

So, I MIGHT be looking for a bike

Yeah, I know, it's only been a few years since I SHOULD have bought one but at the time when I first joined, I didn't realize I could buy a used bike in like new condition for a few grand and then, I ran out of money, kinda.

After that, I've waited for money and now that it finally seems like I'll be getting some, I'll get a lot less than I expected.

So, I CAN get a bike but I really need to keep the price down. I CAN afford $5k but I really don't want to, can't really justify it and I don't think I'll ride it that much as I'm in super bad shape and on top of that, I'll probably ride so poorly, I might even get bored.

I plan on putting up a separate thread where I ask for help in finding a bike but I just want to do some preliminary looking first.

I will be looking here, on craigslist, on ebay and some other places but there was this bike classifieds or something I looked in a couple of years ago but not sure which one it was so I wanted to ask you guys where to look.

Also, I have found a plated KLX450 and was interested in it for two reasons. First, it's fairly close to me, second, I LOVE the KLX colors and third, it's a 450 and from what I hear, a good bit more powerful than the KLX. Note! I'm a fattie and I have sadly enough, gained weight and I'm now around 350LBS.

The purpose of the bike is two fold. First, to hopefully get my fat a$$ out of the house and go riding to have something to do, hopefully to lose some weight and, to have a spare vehicle of needed.

I was going to get the Ultimate MX Hauler and put it on the back of my Excursion (when I get it back from the repo men).

So, opinions, views, suggestions, links and bikes for sale?

I would love to stay around $3k but above all, I'm looking for a good deal so that if I have to sell it, I get most or all of my money back if possible.

By the way, what kind of money do you normally pay to ship a DRZ? If anybody here responds the green kind or the American kind, I'm gonna hafta smack'em with a diamond plate...just a heads up.

Thanks

George

Edited by guiri

To be honest, no, not really... 👍

I got you pound for pound, and the Z hauls me just fine. The Muzzy and the FCR-MX made it nicer, but they weren't really necessary just to get down the road and have fun... 👍

So, although I LIKE the KLX, I don't need the extra horse power?

Thanks

George

There's enough to haul you around. The real question seems to be how fast do you want to be hauled around! 👍 Get out there and have some fun!! 🤣

Yeah, I figured it would but then, there is the small matter of me liking the KLX colors better 👍

If you're going to be spending much time on the open, paved road, look for a DR650 instead.

If you're not going to be on the road much, a DRZ/KLX400 will be plenty of power. Get a used bike, and target for something $1000 under your budget, because you'll want to spend that $1000 immediately on suspension upgrades--the stock suspension was not made for 350 lbs. You may not spend all of the K-buck--I was 285 lbs and got away with just new springs all around and having a professional MX-racing suspension tuner do up the forks. Maybe $500 all told?

But the difference in the performance of my Zed after getting the suspension sorted was night and day. The suspension has become invisible. I just pick my line and take it. If there turns out to be bumps and holes in the line, the bike just handles it. (Of course, this is street-track riding, where there's a limit to the height/depth of the surface problems you can expect.)

Ignore silliness like color. I probably would be happier with a DR650, but when I was shopping, the DR didn't come in the sexy black that the DRZ400SM did. I put too much importance on looks, and ended up with the almost-perfect bike. I am continually debating whether to sell the DRZ to help finance a DR650.

You'd be amazed how little you see of a bike while you're riding it. If you want something you can stand back from and admire it's looks, get a Vulcan 500 or somesuch and add baubles. (And upgrade the suspension.)

S,SM,E? Witch is your poison?

S, unless I find an E tagged.

👍

pi, this is probably good advice. Ultimately, like you say, I won't look at the color when I ride but still, it draws me more...anyway, I think from what I've read here over the years, (check my post count) I'll be better off with a DRZ so I'll be looking for one and yes, I would like to spend less than 3k if I can.

George

I think from what I've read here over the years, (check my post count) I'll be better off with a DRZ

Consider: if you'd spent all that time in a DR650 forum, would you then prefer a DR?

Not trying to be argumentative, just something to think about.

It's very possible and no, no argument here and all that. If I didn't want arguments, I wouldn't be here asking questions 👍

I just talked to a guy about his KLX450R as I'm interested in buying it (instead of maybe the DRZ400) and he said the only thing he could say about the bike that was negative was that it was hard to start when it was cold and you had to kick it.

Well, I'm in NO shape to kick anything and I probably couldn't which is another reason I want something with electric start.

What could be the issue and is it fixable? I posted this in the KLXX450R forum but thought I'd post it here too. From what I know, the DRZ doesn't have these issues does it?

Also, his is tagged in TN, do you know what I have to do to get it legal in NC? He says that the title does NOT say for offroading only and it has a KLR title on it.

THanks

George

A KLX with a KLR title. Really? That isn't odd?