Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 Differences In Years?

We're thinking about getting a YZ 250 for my son who currently has a 2003 YZ250F. Has Yamaha been making significant changes every year? Is there a year of production that should be avoided? We may look at a 2005. How much difference is there between a 2005 and a 2009?

Thanks.

Get 06' or newer...05' forks are not as good.

06+ better forks, if hes not super fast that the forks will make a significant differance theres nothing wrong with the 05 and earlier models! super strong motors! I prefer my 03 over my 08... motor seems stronger to me. I ride intermediate and have no problem making the podium over other 250s as well as 450s consistantly on my 03! Once the suspension is dialed in for his weight and riding style they will all get the job done and then some!

Most of the changes were in the suspension, though as ftball90 mentioned there were subtle differences in the tuning of the motors.

The ’06 & ’07 bikes received the improved ‘SSS’ forks, and in ’08 the forks were upgraded again, but I’m not sure how except for new guards.

The ’06 - up bikes also have a bigger reservoir shock body with a thicker shock shaft. Some consider this a mixed blessing, because the additional fluid volume helps reduce fade, but the thicker shaft creates more ‘stiction’, which makes the rear suspension less supple.

For the price difference that appears to exist between used ’05 and ’06 YZs, many people believe you could get an ’05, dial in the suspension to equal the later bikes, and still be money ahead.

Good luck!

2006 saw the S3 fork, new rear shock with titanium spring, triple clamps with adjustable handlebar position, new seat, new swingarm with improved rigidity, rear tire, quick adjust clutch, front brake lever, rear brake pads and caliper. And i believe 2007 had the thickness of the fork tubes changed with valving changes for a lighter fork with more flex, parts of the shock were changed from steel to brass and aluminum, 7/8th renthals to the 1 1/8 protapers, the N3ew needle for bottom end and midrange response, and lighter bolts so the 07 is one pound lighter than the 06. Anyhow 06 was a good year for updates followed by 08 although they were small updates on real world feel IMO, new fork springs 0.42 to 0.43's, lighter chain, wave rotors, fork dropouts from the 250f that are lighter, the forks had a new compression valve and low friction metal bushings, lighter fork guards that wraped around further, fork stanchions are 4mm shorter, and the front brake caliper is from the 250f and saves 300 grams, the master cylinder has a smaller piston for more power and the brake lever angle is higher on the cylinder and the lever is 9mm moved out. The bike is 2 pounds lighter than the 07

Maybe we can get the Year updates in the sticky section some how

From wonderer74:

2002 - received new plastics (the same as the current ones now), minor porting in the engine

2003 - last minor porting done on the engine

2004 - 1-lb lighter than the '03 and a new 48mm forks from 46mm

2005 - first year of the aluminum frame, which is 5 lbs lesser than the steel frame

2006 - speed-sensitive system forks (SST) introduced, a new stock pipe and a shiny cylinder

2007 - some internal changes on the forks, Pro-Taper handlebar from the usual Renthal, N3EW needle on the carb from previous N3EJ, back to the dull-colored cylinder, 1-lb lesser than the '06

2008 - Wave rotors, yet again some internal fork valving changes, 4mm shorter forks, almost 2 lbs lesser than the '07

2009 - 1-lb lesser than the '08, new DID gold chain, new front tires.

This would make a great sticky for those in the market for a YZ250. I just happen to be one of those people and found it very helpful! 👍

Wow! Thanks guys. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I appreciate it!

Wow cool info, just got a 08 and truly thought it was just 07 with different stickers so cool to know its still had a little extra development. but hope yamaha gona step it up a little for 2011!!!