Sign in to follow this  

Braking problems, technique or adjustment?

Just got a new YZ250f after selling my CRF450r. I love the bike but the braking is giving me problems. I am still a beginner, but every time I touch the rear brake it just locks up and slides. I am trying to be as gentle as I can but just can't seem to get the feel.

Is there any type of adjustment I can make to chill out the rear brakes or is it just me? I wont' be offended.

Thanks

Why are you using the back brake so much? Try moving this into the Mx Riding technique forum mate 👍

Like the guy above said, you get most of your stopping power from the front, but the rear is very useful for control. Try adjusting your pedal lower. The stock setting is kind of high, especially if you are a "sit down" rider. You can also switch to carbon pads for the rear. They are a lot less "grabby" than what came with your bike, but you will need to get some heat in them before they work. Try the Tusk carbon pads from rockymountain.

Sweet, thank you. I do use mostly front brake of course, but like to use the rear as well. My rear would just grab and start sliding, causing me to get sideways. Never had this problem with my crf450, so I thought it might be a set up issues as well as getting used to the bike, and I am a sit down rider most of the time. I will look into those carbon ones.