Sign in to follow this  

Which TE for a big guy?

Hi...I'm brand new to this forum. I'm looking to buy a street legal dual sport and believe it will be a Husky TE. The question is which one? If I weren't so big, I'm almost certain it would be the 310, however since I weigh in at around 325, I'm not sure the 310 would get me up the soft hills. I'm a good technical rider and I have no desire to go fast enough to get seriously injured. What do you guys think? (aside from suggesting that I lose weight!)

I weigh 230, and I thought I was heavy! I got the 510 because most people who weigh 180 think the suspension is way too stiff for their weight. Don't go with the 610, it is a totally different machine-- more of a true dual sport. The 510 has the same motor as the 450 but with a longer stroke. The 510 is pretty much the largest bike you can reasonably use on singletrack woods, and it is a bear sometimes, but it rips on fire roads and the street too.

I read as many comparisons as I could find to the 09 KTM 530 EXC, and most liked the 09 TE better. However, I would really like to ride the KTM myself one day. I chose the Husky because of price, and because I like BMW motorcycles (who own them now). Asking people I know, those who had KTMs said that they are great motorcycles, but require a lot of maintenance. The Husky is fairly low maintenance, and although the fuel injection is slightly more of a pain than I was expecting it to be, the bike is easy to work on.

Thats my 2 cents

450 or 510 are for you. If you ride a lot of tight tech ST then the 450 is the go-you may have to lower the gearing a tad big fella. If its open country, desert or firetrails then the 510 is for you. However, should you do a fair bit of long distance riding and need a genuine dual sport the 610 or soon to be 630 could be a proposition

I've heard a lot of good reviews on the 310's but I know some with an 08 Te450 awesome power! Only problem I find is the parts are a bit hard to find for Husky.

. Don't go with the 610, . The 510 is pretty much the largest bike you can reasonably use on singletrack woods s

Really?? Then all this time I've been living a lie.👍

GT2010.jpg

GTBlackDiamond.jpg

RidingsingletrackinouterMongolia.jpg

Me... I like the 450. For out west you might want to consider the 510.

The 310 is a great bike, but for west coast versatility you would be happier in either a 450 or 510.

If I was using it on the east coast then a 310 or 250.

Me? I'd go with the 450.

Edited by HuskyRips

I weigh just shy of 200 pounds, and have bought the 510 (06 model) and LOVE it! Fire trails and tighter 4wd tracks it is amazing, in the tight stuff it does get to be hard work but so rewarding at the same time. I would buy another one any day of the week.

You say you're a good technical rider, so I assume you ride singletrack? just because youre a big guy doesn't mean you want to deal with all the extra juice on tight trails either. What do you ride now or have experience with? Maybe then we can compare the TE line to what you need a little better. Good luck

i heard somewhere that husky te's have the screw and locknut valves adjusters, not the shims?, is that right, if so thats awesome!

I wiegh 265 and am 6'1", I have been riding a te450 since 07, I did re-spring it for my wieght but am still running the stock gearing and it has plenty of power and snap, also handles great on trails.

I am pushing 280 before putting on any gear and ride a 2006 te250. Depends what you want to do with it. The 250 has plenty of power and speed for technical woods and enduro work even with the steep hills for me. For the tight stuff the extra power of the 450/510 isn't needed and is harder to use, plus there is the added mass and inertia of the larger engined bikes to throw around. Desert and open stuff, the 250 wouldn't cut it.

It is not hard getting Husky parts in Australia. R&D Husqvarna just out of Sydney have a great supply of parts with a great turn around time. Also the dealerships and Paul feeney group are pretty responsive.

Thanks for all your input. Sorry, I've been away for a couple of days and didn't see any replies before I left. I'll get the hang of this.

Anyway, I raced motocross as a kid and was always a stylist. Even though I was always big, I preferred 250's over open class bikes (2 strokes). Rode feet-up mostly and never fell much. Liked to dabble with old-school trials stuff for fun. Although I'm heavy, I'm strong and have very good balance. A lifetime of snowskiing, surfing, kayaking, etc., etc. I like to go fast, but I'm just not going to anymore. I'm self-employed and can't afford the types of injuries that may come with speed! I intend to roll the jumps and the whoops, then when I finally catch up to my friends at the end of those fast sections, try to smoke 'em in the tight stuff. I just don't want to get stuck with something that won't get me up the tougher hills or through long sand washes and the like reasonably well, and just don't know if a 310 will do that or not.

i heard somewhere that husky te's have the screw and locknut valves adjusters, not the shims?, is that right, if so thats awesome!

Husky's have shims.

The te's (250/310/450/510) have shims but don't require cam removal to change, just pull a clip and and slide a rocker over and remove the old shim and install the new one, just takes seconds. 30 minutes tops to check and set all the valves, it takes longer to get the the tank and cam cover off than it takes to do the valves.

I love my 310....BUT is there a reason you're stuck on a TE? Seems like there are other options out there too. I ask because you're comparing three different bikes with very different power outputs (especially comparing the 310 to the 510). There are some other options out there that split the difference a little. (Husa 390, KTM 250/300/400, etc.)

If not, I'd probably go the 450 route, FWIW.

I `ve the same problem: 250, 310, 450 ?

It must be Husky, cause a friend of me is Husky dealer.

ut I dont know, which one.

the 2010er 250 weights 114 kgs with all inclusive, the 310 119 kgs, the 450 124,5 kgs,

the 250 I tested last year, has really good power; I think, the 310 will take You every where You want.

So I dont know, what I want: a very strong bike or a weaker, 10kgs lighter bike ...

I had a Honda CR500 for 10 years of racing, but I really enjoyed the downsizing to 250 2stroke and then my Sherco 450 with its very smooth 45 hps; so I`m not sure, that more is allways more! 👍

Edited by engl
sins, lies, scum,......