Sign in to follow this  

A few questions about ttr 125.

Ok I am rebuilding a ttr 125. The guy believes it is an 04 but he isn't sure lol he just bought it tore up and he is paying me to fix it. Can I check the vin to find out what year it is? I have looked at all the stickers on the frame and cant find anything. I have it tore down I just have to find a flywheel puller so I can pull the flywheel off and split the cases. Is it normal for a ttr this year to already have a stripped first gear? All the others seem to be good from what I can tell. It seems like a fairly new bike to already be having tranny problems. Ok so here is a few questions.

Where can I get a flywheel puller for this? I tried using a harmonic balancer but it wouldn't fit.

What is the timing marks on this thing? |--| | that is what it looks like. I have done some searching and it seems like its the last one to the right but I just want to clear this up.

Also the cam sprocket has a vertical mark on it should that be pointed at 12 o'clock and the timing on the last vertical mark in the stator cover?

Does anyone know where I can get a free downloadable service manual for this thing. I have done some searching but all the links in the old threads doesn't work. If I cant find one would someone be nice enough to maybe email the motor part of the manual? I will give rep gas to whoever does it.

Thanks in advance for any answers or tips you have.

VIN should be stamped on fork tube, clutch side. Check the 10th digit for year, if it's a 4, then frame is an '04. I'm not saying that the engine is an '04, though. I haven't figured out how to decode the case serial number on the clutch side.

My son stripped teeth off first and second on our '06 back when it was only a year old. The chain piled up against the case causing the stripping. A true guide is cheap insurance against that. In some cases the chain has ended up cracking the case = $$$.

Universal flywheel puller works. That what I use. Just have to make sure you have long enough M6's.

Timing mark is the last one to the right, after the tensioner is in with stator cover on and timing cap open - you should be able to line it up. The cam mark is at 12 for TDC. Of course, it really only matters on reassembly.

-Kerry

• Like 1

Ok I have came to a stand still here. How does the 5th pinion gear come off of the shaft? It is number two in the picture. It doesn't show any clips around it in the picture so I just assumed it slides off but this thing wont budge. Is there a possibility that it is seized?

TRANSMISSION.jpg

Edited by zack221

Here are some pics of the stripped first gear and the other stripped gear on the main shaft.

Img2D2908DC.jpg

ImgC2F0109.jpg

I believe it is pressed on. I know when I had to replace gears, I did have to make a trip to have one removed.

-Kerry