I rebuilt the shock on my YZ yesterday.

My job has been requiring me to be at work 12 hrs a day lately and I haven't had time to rebuild my KYB shock, so that means down time for the YZ and I hate that. So anyway, I ordered the seal head kit, 3W oil, a new air filter, and needed to change the oil in my forks.

I started at 8:00 am yesterday morning and accomplished my first ever shock rebuild, that was so nerve wrecking. I got everything in correctly with NO air in the oil, if there is, there isn't enough bubbles that the naked eye could see. I spent about 45 minutes just making sure. I want so bad to try it out today after I set my sag, buts its raining now and it was SOOOO pretty outside yesterday. Makes me cuss like a drunk sailor, if I can get a break in the rain today I'm gonna ride for a minute or two anyway.

I'm excited about my own shock rebuild even though its not that big of a deal, I was scared as he*l to climb that little tree. Thanks for listening to my babbling.

Please excuse the mess and the low quality blackberry pics.

l_599a866183eb4086880416e02db6b333.jpg

l_3329427752d44859aeb2f7f8442bb72a.jpg

l_22cbe2cf214a487e838b893a76b980c9.jpg

Heath

Hey how hard was it to rebuild the rear shock? I'm going to be rebuilding my forks soon and i was going to just send my rear shock to a shop to have them do it, but is it just as easy as the front forks?

Hey how hard was it to rebuild the rear shock? I'm going to be rebuilding my forks soon and i was going to just send my rear shock to a shop to have them do it, but is it just as easy as the front forks?

Not near as hard as I thought it would be, just gotta be REAL clean and thorough. The forks are simple, but gotta be clean and thorough as well. Here are the tutorials I use for both, hope they help you as they did me. I almost forgot to say, these are for KYB forks and shock. I was also gonna send my shock to the shop for an oil change and seal head replacement, but when I called every dealer in the tri-state area all I got was, "We don't do shocks here".

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=266765

http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_0704_twin_chamber_fork_seal_changes/index.html

wiskey next to dirt bike parts always a good combination

I hear ya, I do like to have a few swallows while tinkering with the blue steed. Although I never, and I'm serious, never condone or practice drinking while riding. Life's too short as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Servicing a shock is not difficult. Have some instructions handy and take your time. Bleeding through the compression assembly is the best way to bleed IMO.

Feels good bolting in on and having prefect suspension feel. And that you didn't pay $75 to have someone else do it 👍

Servicing a shock is not difficult. Have some instructions handy and take your time. Bleeding through the compression assembly is the best way to bleed IMO.

Feels good bolting in on and having prefect suspension feel. And that you didn't pay $75 to have someone else do it 👍

Your right,I think I'll try to comprsseion assembly bleed next time I change oil. I'll tell you what, I love the feeling that I can now say that when a problem arises on my bike, I can do it all myself.

Looks good man. I'm going to start playing around with my suspension as well. My only question, what did you do for the nitrogen?

Dude I'll tell ya, around my area, these people act like they don't know what nitrogen is. I used shop air. The "tutorial" I used says shop air will do just fine, so thats what I used. 'Bout 100 psi worth, said 90 or so, but I put in 100.