Sign in to follow this  

07 valve lash

is there any way to avoid buying the expensive tool to release the cam chain tensioner. also anyone know of an aftermarket part to replace the rocker arm with one that has valve adjustment screws instead of having to tear apart the entire head to adjust the valve lash.

You should be able to use a small flat head screwdriver and screw it all the way in, it should lock at that point. As far as the rocker arm, I am not aware of an aftermarket one, but being the valve design is shim under bucket, I think it would be a mistake to use screw and locknut being it's a high performance engine. Usually you won't run into exhaust valve lash issues, it's usually the intakes on these motors.

You should be able to use a small flat head screwdriver and screw it all the way in, it should lock at that point. As far as the rocker arm, I am not aware of an aftermarket one, but being the valve design is shim under bucket, I think it would be a mistake to use screw and locknut being it's a high performance engine. Usually you won't run into exhaust valve lash issues, it's usually the intakes on these motors.
I made mine out of a razor blade 3/16" X 3/8" X 5/16"

1_008_1_.jpg

Motorman1515, are you referring to the screw in the middle of the cam chain tensioner assembly, or do you have to remove the cam chain tensioner and then put the screwdriver in there??? could you please go into a little extra detail.

Oakhillbiker, could you also explain in a little extra detail how your homemade tool is used.

I always just put something (like a long pin or phillips screwdriver etc.) in the holes on the camshaft gear, that will then stop against the cam tower to lock it in place, this always did make me nervous putting some bit of odd side pressure on the tower but did work .

The tool is pretty easy to make. I made mine with a grinder out of a piece of aluminum.

The exhaust rocker is very easy to remove and adding adjusting screws to it would only cause problems.

1_012_1_.jpg1st remove philip screw in the middle of the cam chain tensioner assembly

2nd turn the flat screw inside of the cam chain tensioner assembly to the right

3rd push in to the slots and that will release the pressure on the chain

Edited by oakhillbiker

I made mine out of a razor blade 3/16" X 3/8" X 5/16"

1_008_1_.jpg

the size of the tip width 3/16" X 3/8" long then it steps up to 5/16" wide to slide into the slots

1st remove philip screw in the middle of the cam chain tensioner assembly

2nd turn the flat screw inside of the cam chain tensioner assembly to the right

3rd push in to the slots and that will release the pressure on the chain

Thanks!!