Couple oil questions

How do you guys check oil level when doing a oil change? I ask because in a wet sump engine all the oil is in the base of the engine. In the XRL the oil is in the frame and the oil pump controls the level of oil in the base with the extra stored in the frame. I always check it 30 seconds roughly after the engine is stopped to make sure the oil in the frame hasn't got time to make its what through the pump and into the base.

what amount of oil would be normal? I read that 2.25 Liter of oil is needed but for me to get the proper level in the frame I have to put 3 liters. I know the dangers of putting too much oil but if I don't put 3 liters in the level in the frame is too low. I drained the oil and added 1.5 quarts in the frame then started the engine about 10 seconds. I then finished putting the second liter in and after starting the engine I stopped it after a couple minutes and the level was just barely touching the dip stick. I proceeded to put oil from the 3rd liter 250ml at a time starting the engine momentarily between adding oil. I ended up putting the whole 3 liters before the oil level was up to the full mark on the dipstick. I checked it again the next day and it still is right on the mark. Why the discrepancy?

(1)How do you guys check oil level when doing a oil change? I ask because in a wet sump engine all the oil is in the base of the engine. In the XRL the oil is in the frame and the oil pump controls the level of oil in the base with the extra stored in the frame. I always check it 30 seconds roughly after the engine is stopped to make sure the oil in the frame hasn't got time to make its what through the pump and into the base.

+1,,,check right after shutoff unless you just came flying off the highway..

(2)what amount of oil would be normal? I read that 2.25 Liter of oil is needed but for me to get the proper level in the frame I have to put 3 liters. I know the dangers of putting too much oil but if I don't put 3 liters in the level in the frame is too low. I drained the oil and added 1.5 quarts in the frame then started the engine about 10 seconds. I then finished putting the second liter in and after starting the engine I stopped it after a couple minutes and the level was just barely touching the dip stick. I proceeded to put oil from the 3rd liter 250ml at a time starting the engine momentarily between adding oil. I ended up putting the whole 3 liters before the oil level was up to the full mark on the dipstick. I checked it again the next day and it still is right on the mark. Why the discrepancy?

2-2.5 liters is usually good,depends on how long you drain the oil at both plugs...i put 1 liter in run it a few seconds,then put in the other...i then ride the bike about 20 minutes and recheck...add if needed...

B

What works consistently for me is to ride at an easy pace long enough for the frame around the dipstick to get warm and then check. With three liters stuffed in there, I bet the level will show above full if you use the same method.

I just changed the oil in my 600(same capacity as your 650L) last week and it took exactly two liters with a filter change. It was easy, too; I put one in the engine, one in the frame, rode it around, checked the level, and it as right on the money.

Well I just tried your method HeadTrauma and when I got back from a 3 mile run the oil was dead on the high mark where it has been always. I don't know what to say but I swear I have 3 liters in her.