Honda Cr144 set-up??

Hi,

In about 10 days we should have the EG 144 kit for our '06 cr125. I am wondering if the bike will pull taller gearing (like 1 rear tooth) with the 144? I am also wondering what baseline jetting might be. And I'm hoping that the work will make significant gains over stock. We just want an improved (meaning longer) power spread. A little extra power would be handy, though.

What low cost mods are worthwhile with the big bore?

Thx, Ralph

The biggest and most noticable gain is just what you said... gearing and getting jetting dialed in. The best feel I found as far as gearing was 13-50, it seemed to work very very well on any track Ive rode on. What is your current jetting? I asked Eric what jetting he suggested and he said that he always reccomends starting at stock and making adjustments based on what your personal preferences are... saying that what is your elevation and ave temp there? Someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

thanks for the reply.

I forget what the jetting is right now. As everyone knows, the bike comes way rich off the bottom. Rather then farting around, I just bought a JD kit and installed it. It's been running like that for 2 years. It still wants to foul plugs, but generally doesn't. I had a hotter plug in it for a while, but I believe we are back to stock (once my son started to wring it out more). We are at about 2000' and fairly dry climate.

The bike is back to stock gearing now (and I forget what that is). I had a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket on for a while, which worked well, but shortened the power spread that much more. We like stock gearing better around here.

Is the EG kit going to be worthwhile? I'm pretty pumped about it. I've been wanting to do this since before we picked up the bike. The stock CR goes really good, contrary to popular opinion. But it has a short spread of power and is hard to keep on the pipe. I'm hoping the new topend will make it easier to ride, and that's about all I'm looking for. Like I said, a couple of extra ponies would be a bonus.

I'm going to try to clean up the bottom jetting when we get the kit. I think a leaner needle might help more than a smaller pilot??

I just checked the stock gearing: 13/52.So yours pulls 2 tooth taller gearing on the rear? That would be really nice. I'll start by trying 1 tooth? or should I just go 2? 2 seems like a pretty big jump for the little bike.

Have to agree with everything you said regaurding jetting, I have a feeling a leaner needle will clear up all "hickups" the bike currently has. That cleared my jetting issues up anyways.

The kit was well worth the money IMHO, although my application was on a YZ. Which has a snappier hit than the CR out of the box, the CR is just a much more spread machine, but by no means should you not be able to find the power your looking for out of the CR. Just remember the 125 takes more skill to ride fast than anything Ive ever been on. A buddy has an 04 CR with the 144 kit and that thing is an absolute rocket. Id reccomend getting your jetting sorted out before deciding on the gearing, youll be suprised by the EG 144 kit if the bike is strugging in any area of jetting. That alone will add an emense amount of "get up" ability to that little motor! Im gonna go over to my buddies house when I get off work and ask some ?'s about his cr and see where he saw the most improvements and what mods were involved.

Sorry for asking more questions than you are but did you get any port/head work done?

Hey Guys,

I rode my Gorr CR144 for the first time last Sunday. It is an '07 and it ripped! I installed the JD jet kit and used the richer needle since it was cold that day. The track was all wet deep sand and I was having an epic time. Small bore bikes are the most fun to ride and race. I am 100% satisfied with the Gorr kit.

Cheers, Mark

Ok, so now I am even more pumped! I will be really interested to hear how those other cr's are set-up. I opted for the MX powerband for pump fuel (ported, bored cylinder and head to suit). This should be the right choice for us. If this works well, I am toying with the idea of sending the stock cylinder for the bottom end powerband option (later, that is). Then we could have either/or. I ordered the full kit, so we will still have the stock 125 set-up.ūüĎć

Where did you guys pick up your 144 kit? I have a new '06 CR125 just waiting for my son when he steps up from 85's. I was thinking a 144 kit might help compete with the 4 strokes.

Call up Eric Gorr... great guy that does amazing work and even better customer service! Probably the right move, and the bike will still keep all the characteristics of a 125. No better bike to learn on! That thing will teach him all about the importance of clutch control, corner speed, etc.ūüĎć

• 4 years later...

Sorry to drag out this old post, but what ever happened with these bikes? I currently own a YZ144 from gorr with the low to mid porting for pump gas.i have to say it really works awesome! I am sending my top end out this week and would really like to know if I should do the low to mid, or mid to top instead?

Any body else with the CR in a 144 that can comment? I race in vet A and it's all just for fun..!

• 2 weeks later...

What did you end up getting?  Tell us about it!

I had a 04 CR125 134cc "more bettah" porting & ProCircuit pipe/shorty (sold it a few months ago).

Currently have a 05 CR125 with 144cc "mid-top" porting & FMF pipe/shorty.  Both were done by EG.  I assume the porting had the biggest influence on power but the pipes probably had some affect too.

The 144 is very fun on mx track. If I used it for off-road I'd use the "more better" porting. It's a smoother power delivery. The mid top porting has a good midrange surge and it will wind up pretty good. The "more better" porting I had would sign off a little earlier. I like to wind it up and scream it occasionally and that's what 125 do best.

13/50 Gearing on both bikes.

I use 50/50 AV gas so I had to alter the jetting: Stock carb with leaner jetting on the pilot 35-40 and way richer on the Main (440-480).

Edited by Garage_Dog

What did you end up getting? Tell us about it!

I had a 04 CR125 134cc "more bettah" porting & ProCircuit pipe/shorty (sold it a few months ago).

Currently have a 05 CR125 with 144cc "mid-top" porting & FMF pipe/shorty. Both were done by EG. I assume the porting had the biggest influence on power but the pipes probably had some affect too.

The 144 is very fun on mx track. If I used it for off-road I'd use the "more better" porting. It's a smoother power delivery. The mid top porting has a good midrange surge and it will wind up pretty good. The "more better" porting I had would sign off a little earlier. I like to wind it up and scream it occasionally and that's what 125 do best.

13/50 Gearing on both bikes.

I use 50/50 AV gas so I had to alter the jetting: Stock carb with leaner jetting on the pilot 35-40 and way richer on the Main (440-480).

i decided to go with the mid/top as well, and stuck a PC works pipe and shorty on it. Still waiting for the parts to assemble the bike. My friend just had the 144 low/mid done on his '07 and claims it's awesome too. I haven't had a chance to ride it, but I hope it shreds as good as the YZ did...! I figured I would go different this time, in case this cylinder will eventually work better for my friends son, once he comes to terms with the new 125... Will have to wait until the spring thaw to see how it works!

I have an 05 CR with an EG 144 kit ported low/mid, so I figured I'd chime in.  

Eric uses the Wossner YZ piston now for his 144 kits, which is .015" shorter than his now obsolete custom Wiseco 144 piston.  So for my last piston change, I had Eric update my cylinder by cutting the base by .020" to optimize port timing and correct squish.  This he did for free.  

I have two heads, one for pump which I currently don't use, and one cut for race.  I burn 100LL (avgas).  I have mine setup with a 144 DEP pipe, and a YZ PWK with the TPS connected, VForce3 reeds, and a 97 six speed transmission.  The Dep pipe is way better than stock, but I don't have any other pipe to compare too.  For jetting, I'm using a #6 slide with an A685/294R needle 3rd clip, 45 pilot, 178 main.  The needle is one of the alternate selections from 2000 CR250.  Jetting is perfect!

This bike has impressive bottom end, and good pull all the way to top.  I ride mostly woods, so I have stock gearing, which works fine.  Really fun bike, one of my all time favorites.

I have an 05 CR with an EG 144 kit ported low/mid, so I figured I'd chime in.  

Eric uses the Wossner YZ piston now for his 144 kits, which is .015" shorter than his now obsolete custom Wiseco 144 piston.  So for my last piston change, I had Eric update my cylinder by cutting the base by .020" to optimize port timing and correct squish.  This he did for free.  

I have two heads, one for pump which I currently don't use, and one cut for race.  I burn 100LL (avgas).  I have mine setup with a 144 DEP pipe, and a YZ PWK with the TPS connected, VForce3 reeds, and a 97 six speed transmission.  The Dep pipe is way better than stock, but I don't have any other pipe to compare too.  For jetting, I'm using a #6 slide with an A685/294R needle 3rd clip, 45 pilot, 178 main.  The needle is one of the alternate selections from 2000 CR250.  Jetting is perfect!

This bike has impressive bottom end, and good pull all the way to top.  I ride mostly woods, so I have stock gearing, which works fine.  Really fun bike, one of my all time favorites.

Unfortunately that needle is a unicorn now.  Can't get them from Honda so you would have to get lucky and find one that someone has in their inventory. 

I have a 94 cr125 with Eric Gorr's 144 with his "mo betta" porting.  I love it, not a great woods setup unless you go lower on the gearing (I have mine set on stock gearing).  With a 38mm PWK carb the bike really screams.  I used to have the PWK carb with 5mm of exhaust spacer and that seemed to be a really good setup to maximize top end but not lose any low end from switching from a 36mm carb to the 38mm carb.  Unfortunately, I am selling the bike.  I bought an 03 cr250 and can't keep the 125 now, need to pay off debt.  The jetting I had was an alternate JD needle set in the 4th clip position with a 45 pilot and 182 main. 

magpie5 I had the EG piston in my YZ, and i swapped it out for the Wiseco 846MO5800, and it is a flat top like the wossner, but i think its a tad lighter..? Eric also said that the 846 is a replacement for the honda as well. My friend has a spare wossner for his Honda 144, so if I get a chance, I will try to take som pics and compare them. Can't wait to ride the thing..!! 

Thanks for all the fresh info guys..!

• 3 weeks later...

For jetting, I'm using a #6 slide with an A685/294R needle 3rd clip, 45 pilot, 178 main.  The needle is one of the alternate selections from 2000 CR250.  Jetting is perfect!

So, I just picked up a couple pwk's one for the CR144, the other is going on my CR250. One is from a YZ, the other is from an RM.

Now, which carb should go where..? The RM carb is 39mm and has a 6.5 slide, and the YZ carb is 38mm, and has a #7 slide. my intial thought was to put the 39mm on the 144, since I would figure it helping the top end, and the 38 on the 250..

I don't have any needles  or jets yet for the RM carb, and was wondering how it would run with the 6.5 slide..? is it still too much air..?

• 2 weeks later...
magpie5 I had the EG piston in my YZ, and i swapped it out for the Wiseco 846MO5800, and it is a flat top like the wossner, but i think its a tad lighter..? Eric also said that the 846 is a replacement for the honda as well. My friend has a spare wossner for his Honda 144, so if I get a chance, I will try to take som pics and compare them.

Here is a few pics of the comparison.. I couldn't measure the weights, or accurately measure the deck heights too accurately because I only had a vernier, but the piston heights from what I could tell are the same. The squish relief angle is much more pronounced on the Wossner compared to the wiseco, so I would expect a very minimal compression drop.. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1424706690.563148.jpg

And this was Eric's piston from my YZ to compare to.. The wrist pin is in the bore to even up the pin heights due to slightly different skirt lengthsImageUploadedByThumper Talk1424706831.662340.jpg