DRZ400E to WR250R

I've got a '03 KLX400R (400E) that I've been riding for the last 6 years. Absolutely a great bike, but nonetheless I've had the itch for a new bike and it seems to me that the only bike to comes close to my needs would be the WR250R

I'm in the sub 300 lb camp for a reliable off-road bike that requires low maintenance. That pretty well eliminates a lot of bikes out there.

I like the idea of the 6th speed although I don't ride on the hwy much. But I really like the low end grunt that my E has as compared to what I think the WR may have, so I'm sort of torn between the two.

I'm curious if we have any riders here who have gone from the DRZE to the WR250R? Would you do it again? If not, why?

The WR 250R and WR 250f are completely different animals.

The WR 250f is a trail bike that could be turned into a serious racer and the WR 250R is a street legal overweight pig you put in the back of a motorhome for cruising campgrounds.

If its between the DR-Z 400E and WR 250R I'd keep the DR-Z. The "E" weighs about the same as the 250R or less and has more power. If between the DR-Z 400E and WR 250f I'd get the WR simply because its alot lighter bike and has a better power to weight ratio.

DRZ vs WRR- Although I hear the weights are pretty close, the WRR feels MUCH lighter... lower cg seems to be what people are thinking; DRZ carries it's weight high

Even if you don't use the 6th gear, re-gear lower, and then you won't miss the "grunt" of the DRZ as much, I would think

FI at elevation is a huge difference; I bog above 8000 feet on my DRZ

Maintenance on the WRR is even better than the DRZ...

"I" personally would not trade for a bike so similar to what I have, but wouldn't think you made an mistake doing it

I have a DRZ and WRF and as someone said; THOSE are two different bikes

I want something different and think that I may look around at a used XR650R. After riding a Husky 510E a couple of months ago, I sort of have the itch for more power, although I doubt seriously if I would ever need that much power.

again; apples and oranges...I don't think a 510 is much like a 650R

more power than your DRZ? Yes, but in two pretty different ways

try posting a "what bike to ride" thread, and see what people think... list bikes you've ridden, and what you are looking for (and don't be surprised if somebody says Husky 510)

More power, reasonable maintenance intervals and sub 300 lb leaves out a lot of bikes in today's market.

For high mileage off road riding, it seems nowadays all of the Jap 450's and the Euro bikes have higher maintenance intervals than the KLX did. I don't need a race bike, just would be happy with around 50 hp and 300 lbs, if it means I lose the elec starter than I may just have to live with that. Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but the XR650R keeps popping up in the forecast.

The Husky 510 probably would not work out for me, the XR650R looks to be more versatile. I don't want a garage full of bikes again, so willing to compromise on one and live with it.

I don't think the 650R is under 300 pounds... but you probably know that

I like the DRZ (or KLX) for the type of riding you are talking about... not quite 40 HP and right about 300 pounds (for the S version)

a 650R is a great bike though, and does a lot of things "good enough" I would say, the more OPEN the terrain, the more that bike will excel, and as it gets tighter it'll start to show it's weight and agility challenges. The right rider will not have an issue with those things, and use the massive torque that 650 packs.

I agree, you don't need garage full of bikes, but you need to be willing to compromise.

I have a 650L, DRZ and WR250F right now... If I could only keep one, it'd be the DRZ. IF I were to get a plated WR450F, I could let all the rest go right now

I had a 2009 DR-Z400SM for a bit over a year and now ride a 2008 WR-250R.

The big advantage the WR-250R will have over the DR-Z is lighter feel and lighter handling when manovering the bike.

Even though putting both bikes on a scale won't show a big weight difference, you easily feel one due to the smaller engine parts spinning around down there.

The big advantage the DR-Z has is due to having a bigger engine, and it has more power and torque at any point.

Both bikes can get through a section of road or trail well enough.

The WR-250R will feel smaller, lighter, and have a midrange-and-up kind of powerband.

It's got enough low end and flywheel weight to torque along when you ask, but that's not where it makes it's best power - it likes to rev.

The DR-Z will feel a little bit more like a longer and heavier bike, but the powerband is torquier.

It's a classic trade-off.

Both bikes will need to be uncorked to make then run as they should, and this can be read about on the forums for each bike. ?

As has been already said, do not forget that the WR-250R and the WR-250F are not the same bikes at all.

I also own a 2009 WR-250F, and being an off-road bike that is not sold as being street legal, it's got a lot less weight, a lot more top end power, less flywheel mass, a real off-road chassis and suspension, and frankly, once it's uncorked, it feels like a flyweight rocketship with unshakable straight line stability combined with quick handling compared to either the WR-250R or DR-Z.

All good advice, I'm going for a test ride today on the XR and next week when I go to Texas I'll try out the WR if I can find a dealer who let me try it. If not I'll probably just pick up a XR.

Edit: Whoops missed post #7: Owned bout 20 bikes, all the big4 Jap brands, an Hodaka, and 3 euro brands. Thirty five years primarily on the street, but then started off road riding 4 years ago when I moved to Mexico. Could care less now about riding on the street. Never a racer and not an adventure rider either. I live between 4k and 7 k on the KLX400R, that's probably why it has lasted so long.

Just an old retired guy who has lots of time to rack up the miles in the wilderness exploring. I generally ride solo but occasionally I'll ride with some the Mexican dirt riders who tend to be 1/2 my age. Just don't have the knees, hips, reflexes, or night vision to keep up with them, most of them are intermediate to expert class.

I tend to ride solo a lot because when I get in a group I have a bad habit of chasing the tail lamp and then I over reach my skill level.

Edited by tiemann1

More power, reasonable maintenance intervals and sub 300 lb leaves out a lot of bikes in today's market.

For high mileage off road riding, it seems nowadays all of the Jap 450's and the Euro bikes have higher maintenance intervals than the KLX did. I don't need a race bike, just would be happy with around 50 hp and 300 lbs, if it means I lose the elec starter than I may just have to live with that. Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but the XR650R keeps popping up in the forecast.

The Husky 510 probably would not work out for me, the XR650R looks to be more versatile. I don't want a garage full of bikes again, so willing to compromise on one and live with it.

Im pretty sure that honda is 39hp, modded wr,s are 30+ so you gain 9 hp for 400 cc. LAME ?

From what I've seen, a few mods on the XR650R can get you plenty of power.

See post 20 here: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891578&page=2

I don't need 63 hp but that is a few more than the 39 of the stock. Somewhere in between would be fine for me. I rode one and liked it, lots of torque. Think the XR650R has won the Baja 1000 once or twice.