Trailtech comp not reading correctly

A guy I know gave me his old Trailtech. I bought a sensor and magnet, installed as per the instructions, but its not reading right. I have my GPS on board to calibrate but they are both so far off each other its funny.

My GPS will say I'm doing 70km/hr while the Trailtech says I'm going well over 100.

I can't seem to figure out how to adjust it (if possible). Anyone have any tips?

Thanks.

have you punched in the front wheels diameter in MM into the vapor computer? im guessing thats your problem. everytime you get a new front tire you need to re-adjust the numbers in the computer... come to think of it I just put on a new front tire and didnt adjust it, that might be why it says my modded crf450 tops out at a mere 110km/h whereas before it was more like 130+

let me know if you need instructions, I am going to adjust mine later today and ill take a picture of the vapor manual if you need. its pretty simple.

For best accuracy I suggest using Method #2 with riding tire pressure and rider weight on the bike. If you want more accuracy roll 4 revolutions and divide by four. Your answer when multpling by 25.4 should be about 2,000 for a 21" front wheel.

I did this and measured the diameter and got 2115mm's each time.

Thanks guys! Let's see if this works.

I'm a little afraid to ask what a "Wobbly Pop" is, especially from a guy named "Dirty Sanchez"! 👍

I agree with the others, I'd first make sure the # is correct for the diameter. Hopefully that fixed it for you, if not:

I'd check & be sure that the magnet is passing the sensor somewhere near the edge. If it's passing the through the middle of the sensor it can appear as though you're going a lot faster than what you are (registering twice each time the wheel passes). I encountered this problem once.

One other suggestion, and is a problem I had when I was given a used TrailTech Endurance computer, is to check the sensor wire for any visible signs of damage. I had one that appeared fine but after I had exhausted all other avenues I replaced it and that cured my problem. This would be the last thing I'd check/do since a new cable will run you about $25 American + tax, shipping, etc.

I'm a little afraid to ask what a "Wobbly Pop" is, especially from a guy named "Dirty Sanchez"!🤣

wobbly pop - any beverage that contains alcohol, for the purpose of human consumption, and is refered to by a person from Newfoundland.

I dont drink, but with a name like "dirty sanchez" im sure he would not mind giving me an "alaskan pipeline" or a "boston steamer" (kidding)

but glad I could help 👍

Thanks for the lesson in slang, guys. I'll try not to confuse the Boston steamer from the Cleveland variety, I've heard that's not a good mistake to make!

DirtySanchez, sorry- didn't catch that you had bought those parts already. Good luck with your situation there. I've finally got mine working, and working consistently too, and it sure is nice- let us know how it goes, I'm sure if you're still having troubles your TT friends will help you out. 👍

Its still not reading correctly after entering in the correct wheel circumference. It does look like it is about double the speed, so I'd say the magnet is being picked up twice per revolution (even though its mounted like in the instructions). I might have to fiddle with it, otherwise I'm filing it under "G".

Yep, I had the same issue. Try moving it inward or outward some. I couldn't get it to work with the rotor bolt/magnet so I went with one of the other magnets included in the kit, put it on the disc to find out where it seemed to work best. I then put a little dab of silicone on it just to ensure that it doesn't fall off or move.

If you cannot move the sensor to a better location, you can always enter 1/2 the wheel circumference. I did this on my son's bike, because there was not a lot of room to mount the magnet without it hitting the brake caliper. Net result is the same. It reads the correct speed.

If you cannot move the sensor to a better location, you can always enter 1/2 the wheel circumference. I did this on my son's bike, because there was not a lot of room to mount the magnet without it hitting the brake caliper. Net result is the same. It reads the correct speed.

That's a good idea. So simple but I never thought about it.

Just by looking at my speed I would say its doubled. I can be cruising at 50km/hr but the comp is reading 100.

Thanks. I'll try that. There's no way I can mount the sensor any differently it seems.