Sign in to follow this  

engine pinging when hot?

went out with a friend the past 2 weekends and when his bike(xr650l) gets hot it starts pinging. we thought it would the octane but it still did it when we went out today. the pinging noise sounds like it is in the header but i dont know if the noise is transferring down the pipe or what? any suggestion? is he going to hurt anything riding with it?

It's not the pinging that will hurt it,it's the heat that comes from it.So...ya. Old gas or slightly clogged jets (from old gas)will do this.This CRAP they call gas now days goes bad fast,iv'e seen a lot of carb problems come through my 'little shop' this past couple years more than anything.if a bike sits for like,4 weeks iv'e seen gas go stale and ping like crazy.

If he's uncorked it,it needs to be jetted too..The "L" boys here will know more on that subject.

its got je 101mm 10.5:1 piston, ported, crf450 carb with the proper jets(suppose to be anyway), fmf full exhaust, and uni filter. i guess it could be clogged jets, dont know? but it has pletty of power and that would make me believe the jets are ok

went out with a friend the past 2 weekends and when his bike(xr650l) gets hot it starts pinging. we thought it would the octane but it still did it when we went out today.
its got je 101mm 10.5:1 piston, ported, crf450 carb with the proper jets(suppose to be anyway), fmf full exhaust, and uni filter.

That's not too different from my setup, situation, and symptoms when I was trying to get pinging under control. If his bike is pinging on 91, the only practical solution is to increase the fuel octane. It shouldn't be be fed anything less than 91 with a high compression piston. I had good results mixing in 25% 100 octane pump fuel.

This CRAP they call gas now days goes bad fast,iv'e seen a lot of carb problems come through my 'little shop' this past couple years more than anything.if a bike sits for like,4 weeks iv'e seen gas go stale and ping like crazy.

My personal experience is the exact same. I had stale gas leave a brown layer of varnish in the intake port of my engine and on the carb slide. For decades gasoline would stay reasonably usable for half a year or more, but now you're lucky if it stores well beyond a month. I'm not sure why, but I think it is related to the influx of ethanol as a replacement for MTBE and alterations to other component amounts under reformulated gasoline (RFG) guidelines.

Pinging, otherwise known as preignition, is caused by excessively high combustion chamber temps. I would guess that the engine is running lean. Here's a good article on preignition, detonation, etc.

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/index.php

Creeky is right, it's probably jetted to lean which will burn a HOLE in the top of your piston and do other harmful things, I know I've done it before.👍

I would richen it up and see what happens.

As the old saying goes you can run rich hundreds of times but you can only run lean a few times....🤣

I'm building a water injection, controlled by a knock sensor. This will cure your pinging.

Interesting! Keep us posted on this.

I'm building a water injection, controlled by a knock sensor. This will cure your pinging.

Or you can just buy an R.....it comes with water cooling from the factory.👍

Or you can just buy an R.....it comes with water cooling from the factory.🤣

If your R has water injection in stock trim, you have a blown gasket somewhere.👍