is there a howto for changing the oil on the rear shock?

I have a 2007 stock 's' shock. I did my fork oil it was easy just stroked the tube and drained the oil into measuring cup. then refilled with same ammount. Whats the real simple way of doing this with the shock?

Not the way to measure fork oil for refill......

Rear shock a little more involved, and if taken apart the wrong way, is even worse.

Have you done a search? Plenty of write-ups on doing suspension the right way.

Just had eddie do mine, very reasonable price. while the shock was off, took the time and opportunity to do a spring and a race-tech gold valve. I was quoted $10-$20 locally just to refill the nitrogen. Just got back from another test ride and I am very happy with the results even tho the sag is not set just right yet. (I will adjust it at work when I get some help!).

thats no fun lol. I need to figure out how to do this on my own. its not rocket science. I am just changing the oil. not re valving.

true...there are dozend of guides even on youtube...sure you will find something

👍

here is one very old one from somewhere here on the board

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7696/kybandshowashockservice.jpg

It is not very difficult at all to do your own shock. You don't even need any special tools.

Remove the nitrogen in the bladder before doing anything else.

There are a few places I found the info to do this process yet none of them were complete. It took the pages I found and a couple of questions.

The one main thing that I could not find in any instruction was how to get the spring off of the shock as most of the picture instructions I found did not show this. Basically all you have to do is put the shock in a vice with the bladder tank side on top. Then whack the collar that holds the spring on with a rubber mallet. There is a circlip under the collar that once removed will free the collar and allow the spring to slide over it.

Search the internet and there are picture instructions available.

It is not very difficult at all to do your own shock. You don't even need any special tools.

Remove the nitrogen in the bladder before doing anything else.

There are a few places I found the info to do this process yet none of them were complete. It took the pages I found and a couple of questions.

The one main thing that I could not find in any instruction was how to get the spring off of the shock as most of the picture instructions I found did not show this. Basically all you have to do is put the shock in a vice with the bladder tank side on top. Then whack the collar that holds the spring on with a rubber mallet. There is a circlip under the collar that once removed will free the collar and allow the spring to slide over it.

Search the internet and there are picture instructions available.

thank you sir. as the instructions say "rebuilding shocks is fairly simple using common hand tools". You have saved me $200+ that I dont have for the local shop to do it for me.

thank you sir. as the instructions say "rebuilding shocks is fairly simple using common hand tools". You have saved me $200+ that I dont have for the local shop to do it for me.

Your welcome. Have fun. It's pretty cool when you do it the first time. Use a wire coat hanger to keep all the parts in order.