do I need to pull the head off to replace my cam chain guides?

can I get both the front and rear cam chain guides out of the motor and put new ones in without pulling the head? what about the timing chain, can it be replaced without removing the head? do I need to remove the cylinder to do any of this? I have 22,000. miles on it and think my cam chain and guides are worn. if I have to pull the cylinder than I'm going to bore it out too.

Ummm, yes possibly. If you take off the clutch cover, clutch then you can remove the tensioner guide - but the other one is fitted into the cylinder top by way of a notch in the cylinder and cylindricaly protrusion on the cam chain guide. If you remove the small plate which retains the bottom of guide you may be able to push it up to dislocate it and then slip it out past the primary nut/crankshaft.

But otherwise the head would have to come off. Others will know for sure.

camguides.jpg

Edited by Svery

I would be amazed if it was possible, much less recommended, to replace the cam chain without pulling the head.

Its simple to change the cam chain without removing the head. The question is, can the cam chain guides be removed/changed without removing the head? I think the head holds down one of the guides (the one which inserts into the cylinder notch) - which means the head would have to come off.

You can replace the cam chain really easy without removing the head, but as I recall I think you can only get both guides by removing the head. Take some advice and do some searches, as I'm not sure how prone the guides are to wear, changing the chain may be enough.

Dan

I would be amazed if it was possible, much less recommended, to replace the cam chain without pulling the head.
Its simple to change the cam chain without removing the head.

See what happens when you make assumptions, kids? Let this be a lesson to you.

They look ok to me though perhaps a little wear in there but nothing obvious. If in doubt replace them if they are not much $$$. But these don't tend to wear much in my experience.

Why do you think they may need replacing? Other issues perhaps?

They are about $55 usd for the two of them. Personally I have my motor torn apart right now for a valve job and cylinder hone and plan on replacing the camchain while I'm at it. Just hate to spend an extra fiddy on something I don't need to...sorry for the hijack.