Sign in to follow this  

Allen Bolt Stuck

My 5mm countersunk allen head bolt on my Flatland skid plate is stuck. So stuck that I broke a Craftsman hex/allen socket and twisted a Kobalt allen key to the point where it resembles a candy cane after using an extension pipe on it. I've also tried to tap another allen key with a hammer...nothing seems to budge this bolt. The strange thing is that the bolt was only tightened last week....its not like its been locked in place for a year or more.

I thought about trying an impact wrench or impact ratchet with another hex/allen socket? Thoughts on that? The internal hex is still good in the bolt itself.

Any tips on how to remove this bolt?

The impact is a good idea and I think it will work. If it doesnt, PB Blaster and heat are your friends.

dumb question, are you turning it the right way?

LOL. Yes, I'm turning it the right way.

The impact is going to take awhile to do since my local Sears didn't have a 5mm hex socket on hand to replace mine with. Hmmmm heat...I was thinking about that but its good to get a second opinion. I'll try the heat first since I still have an allen key available for use.

Definitely anti-seizing compound from here on out!

any auto parts store will have a 5mm hex bit too.

Yeah...but I broke a Craftsman 5mm socket. I'd rather get one for free instead of buying another one and breaking it too. Thanks for the tip though.

Can you tack weld another bolt or something onto the head of the stuck bolt? Than you could use a wrench or socket to loosen it. just a thought.

If its a flathead countersunk then take a sharp punch and punch it close to the edge and make a nice indention. Then put the tip of the punch in the hole at an angle and tap it sharply. It will turn a little and then the hexbit will unscrew it. I doubt you will find a 5mm impact hex bit and it will just strip out the hex anyway. The punch will work, I do it all the time. Usually you can reuse the bolt. And for bolts in places that get wet, muddy, use Anti Seize when you assemble.

Update: I tried using a torch to heat the bolt, I tried penetrating oil, I tried drilling a small hole at an angle at the outside edge of the bolt and tapping it with a punch....I still couldn't budge the bolt.

I finally ended up drilling the head off the bolt and tomorrow at work I'll get and easy-out and see if I can remove the threaded part of the bolt.

Thanks for the suggestions...I finally just gave up and drilled it out.