Sign in to follow this  

just finished my msf course

So I've been visiting the TT forums for awhile now, but first time poster. Just finished my msf course because the military wants it done plus its been awhile since I've owned a motorcycle. Now I am a week or two away from owning a drz assuming I find a decent one too buy. Figured I'd make a post on here seeing as the TT Honda community never let me down when I got my cr250, and the drz community seems even more enthusiastic and knowledgeable about their bikes. So I ask if anyone knows about any drz400sm for sale in the DFW/west Texas area let me know. I found this one http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/1664627990.html but Im always up to have options.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on what to look for and or questions to ask besides the obvious maintenance schedule, loctite fixes, cam chain tensioner, etc... Any info would be appreciated and Im looking forward to finally getting a road legal bike and contributing to some threads on here. Thanks!

Nice work on completing the MSF course. I took it a few years ago and had a good time with all the Harley wanna be's.

Shop around and don't buy on impulse. Compare a few and remember that in this economy money talks, so take cash and try for a good deal.

that looks like a nice clean bike, just picked a 07 drz up with 140miles on it for 3600. There are deals out there if you look

never hurts to take that course plus it's an easy way to get your motorcycle license.

Yeah the MSF course is great. but REQUIRED for everyone in the Army. I did mine just over a year ago before i deployed, saved money, came home got my present to myself 09 S Model in Aug

Yeah the MSF course is great. but REQUIRED for everyone in the Army.

Personally, I find it strange that rider's training isn't required for everybody, not just the military.

But then again, I'm the kind of lefty-commie-pinko-freak that finds it strange that in the U.S. you take a driver's test once, and then are never trained or tested again for the rest of your life.

Ooops, thread hi-jack. Sorry.

To the OP: I prefer to buy bikes that are as close to stock as possible. I mean, how often have you gone to do some M&R on your used bike only to find yourself asking "***?" at something the PO had done. A friend of mine found he had to go through and rewire a large part of his FJR because the PO had done such a crappy job of installing accessories. They looked fine from the outside, but once you got under the plastic....

Anyway, also check out the much venerated Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide by Adam Glass.

I agree, the msf course should be required. I've seen people on motorcycles with pemits that shouldn't be on the road. I took the msf course and it was actually pretty fun they had me use thier XT250

I took the msf course and it was actually pretty fun they had me use thier XT250

A 250! Must've been nice. I was on a KE100.

But, yeah, up until the MSF I believed the BS that I needed at least a 750 cc for my first bike. After the MSF I figured that if a 100 cc could haul my fat ass around the course, a 500 cc bike would have plenty of power for the roads.

It wasn't until my 4th bike that I had something with at least 750 cc. (Actually, I blew right past 750 to 1200. And now I'm down to a 400--my smallest, and most fun, bike yet.)

I agree, the msf course teaches good skills that everyone should know. Even though I had like 4 years of trail riding experience I don't have to avoid cars on single track trails, just trees.

Thanks for the link too I'll read that. Oh and at my course we used suzuki gz250 I came to the conclusion the only market for those bikes is msf courses. I thought motocross/trail bikes were uncomfortable at times then I sat on a gz250

I agree, the msf course should be required. I've seen people on motorcycles with pemits that shouldn't be on the road. I took the msf course and it was actually pretty fun they had me use thier XT250

some of those who don't take the course won't be "on the road" very long. 👍

MSF course was great. took it about 10 yrs ago on a Honda rebel 250. I asked the instructor why the bikes don't have turn signals and he said that I would find out. Yeah, several bikes hit the ground in my class. They teach you a lot even if you can all ready ride

Congrats on passing the course, and good luck finding that Deezer SuMo! Enjoy, and be safe!