Sign in to follow this  

tires for DR650

Looking for a 70/30 tire for my DR650. I ride mostly locally 70/30 with occasional longer rides on highways to trails It is only an 09 so not much experience yet on it. Tire ideas? I need new ones soon.

I have just put on a set of Pirelli MT 90 A/T's on my DR and couldn't be happier...they warm up quick, handle like really well...don't "track" like the stock 'wings and were pretty cheap online...Got the set for around $200..had em mounted by my local tire guy...took em home, static balanced em' they both took about 1oz on each rim.

Well .... I've just taken off the OEM Trailwings with less than 600 miles on them, and traded them in on Avon Distanzia's. The Distanzia's are certainly more road oriented than the standard tires, and I have yet to try them on gravel roads or fire roads, but they are awesome on the highway !!

According to reports, these are really very good on wet roads too, and that was one thing I wanted. They are also supposed to give excellent mileage.

My riding will pretty much be 80 / 20, and the 20% will mainly be gravel roads or hard packed surfaces. (i.e. not true off roading). I'm not sure what else they may be capable of .... I'll find out eventually.

I wanted tires for commuting all year around, touring, and just having fun riding anywhere in the weekends.

So far I'm really happy with them !!

Good luck with your choice. 👍

I chose to fit a Metzeler Sahara 3 on the front and Dunlop Trailmax rear.

I've found it to be a really good balance, I like the front to be more grippy than the rear, if the rear starts sliding around, you still have a bit of a safety margin with the front.

The metzeler was a bit pricey, well worth it imo.

Continental TKC-80. Best compromise tire in my opinion. Surprisingly smooth on the road and has decent amount of traction off road. Can be a bit more $$ that the others, but less than the Metzlers for sure.

I tried the Saharas and got about 3,000 miles on them. I like the TKC 80's more-they feel more secure off road and about the same on road. I currently have about 2,000 miles on a set of these and the front still looks new and the back is maybe 1/2 worn. They are used on the big beemers so they should be durable. I like the way the handle on and off road, they look good and are a bit cheaper than the Saharas. My friend put Mefo Explorers on his DR about the same time (and miles ago) I got my TKC's and his show less wear, but they were more money. My next tire purchase will be either the MEFO's or the TKC 80's again.