Sign in to follow this  

KLX 450 R hard to start when cold?

Guys, I just talked to a guy about his KLX450R as I'm interested in buying it (instead of maybe the DRZ400) and he said the only thing he could say about the bike that was negative was that it was hard to start when it was cold and you had to kick it.

Well, I'm in NO shape to kick anything and I probably couldn't which is another reason I want something with electric start.

What could be the issue and is it fixable?

Also, his is tagged in TN, do you know what I have to do to get it legal in NC? He says that the title does NOT say for offroading only and it has a KLR title on it.

THanks

George

How about if I don't want to kick at ALL? This guy said it didn't have enough oomph to start on battery when it was cold...?

George

Any experience with the KLX vs the DRZ when it comes to starting?

KLX is notorious for "bad" battery issues...do a search. Get a new battery and it will crank and start til the cows come home.

As far as the tagging...alot of guys have got thier bikes "through" on the KLR vin. Someone with more experience will chime in...again search hard enough in the KLX section adn you will find the info you want. It's a great bike...won't be disappointed.

When you say bad battery issues, what do you mean? I was going to have a good battery anyway and I don't know if it'll work but I was going to do the Eddie upgrade on the battery for a bigger capacity battery. I prefer more cranking power rather than worrying about a couple of pounds.

If the bike you're looking at is an '08...there was a large batch of bad batteries on the klx. They will charge but really don't have any cranking power and you will kill a fully charged battery in 6 stabs of the e-start button. They just don't have any capacity. I have one and live without but it is my next replacement this spring. I can and don't mind kicking...but i use the e-start when i'm in a jam. Riding steadily will keep the charge up to allow you a stab of the button every 10 mins or so if needed but any attempt at a prolonged crank will kill it fast! Look at an E-batt or something similar and you will be fine!👍

Yup...alot of guys are rewinding stators...changing regulator/rectifiers etc...just need a good strong battery. Do a search and read up with the results of others...i'm sure you will find it all the posts "eerily" similar with the same results.

So, you're telling me that people are going crazy doing stuff when all they had to do is get a new battery?

Man, that would suck

Yup...alot of guys are rewinding stators...changing regulator/rectifiers etc...just need a good strong battery. Do a search and read up with the results of others...i'm sure you will find it all the posts "eerily" similar with the same results.

Exactly right DIRK, I have an 08 and I keep the battery tended [battery tender] when not riding and I can flick the e-start a 100 times a day with no problems. Once in a while, I kick when my friends are looking so they don't feel to bad 👍

Thanks guys, that makes me feel soo much better. I had a CR500R many years ago and never rode it simply because I couldn't kick it AND it's the reason I never got into riding dirt bikes 👍

Do you know if you can put a higher capacity battery in it like they do on the DRZ's with a modified battery box/holder?

Like everyone else says. New Battery(check my posts) and jetting(Jd jet kit) and your good to go. I kicked mine once I think last year after I stalled it in a puddle(Do the t-mod to the carb hoses) I started it hundreds of times on the battery with no problems. I do use the kickstart when it is below zero for the initial start. It usually fires on the first kick and then is good to go for the rest of the day. But you can use the button then to no problems.

Any experience with the KLX vs the DRZ when it comes to starting?

I've had both bikes.

Big difference in cold starting proceedure...

The FCR carb on the KLX is much happier if you give the throttle two or three pumps, before you pull the choke knob and crank the starter button.

With the DRZ400's Mikuni, you don't touch the throttle at all, and just pull the choke, and hit the button.

👍

But bottom line, I won't have problems starting either, cold or hot?

Actually, I'm mostly worried about out in the field so I don't get stuck. I've had to push my CR500R because of this and this is the ONLY reason I never got into dirt bike riding because I could never start my CR.

I'm old, fat and in extremely bad shape and I just want to be able to push the button and that's it. Hell, a couple of pulls on the gas and choke is fine, I just mean, no KICKING. I really won't be able to do that.

George

I haven't had any issues yet. So far my KLX has been just as easy to start as my DRZ was.

If you make sure your battery is a good one, you ride the bike at least once per week, you re-orient your stator connector and grease it so it doesn't catch water, and you give the throttle a couple pumps before you pull the choke and hit the button, cold starts shouldn't be an issue.

Hot starts seem to work best if you don't touch the throttle or choke, and just hit the button.

👍

Before i totally removed the electric start, i found that if i did an overnight trickle charge at 2 amps or less, that the battery would work great for the whole riding season. I dont know how cold a temp your working with, but i basically agree with the guys telling you to get a good battery, and will add one thing, Keep it charged if you tax the battery often, the stock stator wont revive it if you take it too deep into the discharge.

I don't think any of us can guarantee it. I did the jetting on mine according to the instructions and it can be a bitch to start cold. Zero problems hot starting. I'm hoping my soon to be installed fuel screw will help. BTW I ride at about 4700' (I think).