Sign in to follow this  

xt 600 to xt 550

hi i have a 1983 xt 550 needs a motor i can find a 1988 xt 600 motor what about the electronics? looks like it will mount up in there just fine

the only wire you have to worry about is the coil and if it doesn t now i should be able to with minamal effort. all of the spark systems work exactley the same way ? what ate u do ing with old motor and where are u from i have an old xt 550 would like parts

The 550 and 600 motors are interchangeable but with some delicate modification. I found this the hard way. The 600 will bolt right in no problem, but the back of the motor will need to be shaved down a 1/4" to clear the rear suspension by a hair. I thought the same thing but turns out the motor on an 83 is concave shaped in the back and an 85 is a convex shape. I have it in and running now after some tedious hair pulling.

One parts interchange I used said the XT550 and XT/TT600 used the same CDI and since the stator and pulser connect directly to the CDI (not through the harness), it should connect right up.

However, another interchange said it does not.

The spark plug coil and kill switch connections are really simplistic and should connect from one CDI bike to another with minimal effort, although I suspect you're planning to stick with the 550 CDI so that point is moot.