Sign in to follow this  

need a good trail bike

i took my crf150f out for a first ride yesterday and i realized that i need a new bike. so i started looking, mostly at the crf250x, the wr250f/r, and the ktm xc-f 250. They seem to be the nicest bikes for pure trail riding. That is all i plan to do.

Which of these bikes is the"best" in your opinion

truthfully i dont mind a power difference unless it is like an xr 250

That bike was just too heavy when i tried one last year and when i rode my friends crf250r i loved the power.

I dont know much about these bikes so correct me if im wrong but it seems like that these are described as high maintenence bikes

What does that mean and what maintanence would i need to do. I only plan on doing trail/powerline riding- no racing

I plan on getting an older model such as a 2004-2007 because im not rich so i will be purchasing used.

Does anyone know any problems any of these bikes had.

and is there any other similar bike tio these three

Any response is appreciated

thanks chris

by the way i am 5,8' 145lbs if that matters

First off, you can't compare an XR 250 to a CRF250R....one is a pure bred bullet proof trail bike and the other is a pure bred MX bike. Huge difference.

The newer 4 strokes are described as high maintenance because they are now liquid cooled, have more technology and are more race inspired type engines. The off road engines are often a more detuned version of the MX bike. So, when purchasing one of these bikes used, you will want to get the newest possible, because you don't want to get someone's worn out bike that may cost you an extra grand to get running properly.

A lot of people like the Yamaha WR250F for their trail bikes, and often compare other bikes to them. You probably wouldn't want the R because it is the dual sport version.

KTM's are very popular, and I can't actually say I have ever heard a complaint about them. Even their MX bikes come with electric start! Honda's have their ups and downs, but I imagine all bikes really do. These days, it is really more about what color you like better, and what fits your budget the best.

Personally, I would love to get myself a nice XR 250 for some good trail riding.

I like brown. Which bike should I buy?

I don't know smart guy, is there a bike company that makes a brown bike, if so, go buy it.

I would get the 250x if i was you. That is a badass trailbike, as long as you do regular matinence on the bike reliabilty wont be a problem.

Only 5 post's and already a smart ass.👍

Okay fine. I like Red. CRF250x it is. Now I just have to find some green to pay for it. Man I am feeling blue now 👍 .

It depends what kind of trail riding you do. If it is open 4 wheeler or jeep trails YZ250F or CRF250R will work fine. If you get real tight technical boulder/log hopping stuff you need a XR250 or CRF250X or WR. Remember Motocross bikes are sprung very stiff and have almost no seat padding. So expect to spend about $1000 extra to convert a MX bike to ride woods, new springs, flywheel weight, soft seat, low end power cam, radiator guards, and the you realize MX bikes have a small gas tank which limits your ride to around 60 or 70 miles.

a dirty one