have you guys ever put a trailer hitch on a car before?

Id ont have the money to buy a truck right now and wont for a long time becuase i wont be able to afford insure having my own vehicle becuase of me haveing a dwi. my girlfriend has a 99 mercury cougar that i want to see about putting a trailer hitm on and buyin some sort of trailer. Any ideas? I hate relying on people to go riding

A few years ago i bought a trailer hitch from e-trailer.com for an oldsmobile that i had. It was pretty cheap (around $100) and did the trick. It was easy to install as well, just removed the trunkliner and drilled 4 holes, then installed the 2 plates with carridge bolts inside the trunk and then put the hitch on with 4 nuts.

I would assume you could do the same for your cougar, as it is a mid-sized car just like an oldsmobile.....just make sure to get a lightweight trailer to make pulling it easier.

You can put a hitch on about any medium or full size, rear wheel drive car. I presume it has either a V6 or small V8, so it shouldn't have any problems pulling a small trailer with a dirt bike on it.

well it has a v6 but its front wheel drive

Trailer hitches come in classes(rating) that relate to the amount of weight it can handle. Even the lightest weight hitch, Class-I, is rated at 1000 lbs. I think any vehicle larger than a Smart Car or Ford Fiesta can have at least a Class-I hitch.

Go to one of the online places that sell trailer hitches for specific cars, like etrailer.com, and if they make a hitch for that make/model then the vehicle can handle it.

Assume you can get a Class-I hitch for that car, that's 1000 lbs. A bike is about 250lbs, and a trailer is between 100-300 lbs depending on size and quality.

I have a couple of those inexpensive 4x4 trailers from NorthernTool and they can handle a bike fine. Jsut make sure you get the optional 12" wheels instead of the 8" wheels.

Heck, I've even got one of mine for sale, if you want to come get it 👍

When gasoline went up to $4.25 a gallon I sold my F150 and ran my construction business out of a mazda protege. I regularly towed a harbor freight trailer with a loaded weight of 1500lbs. You won't have any problems. My protege was a manual which is better for towing than an auto. Most americans fail to use vehicles to their potential. Europeans have no issues at all towing trailers with cars, but here everyone thinks you need an F350 powerstoke to tow a jetski.

I put over 15,000 miles on that trailer($300 harbor freight). Keep the bearings lubed and it will last.

thanks for all the input. im going for it that just mad emy day i cant wait im going to be riding all the time

Go for it bro, you gotta get to the track somehow.

If all I had was a car you know I would have a hitch, I try to ride every day when I'm not injured.

I appreciate those diehards doing what ever it takes to ride.

I have a hitch on my corolla (got it on ebay) and tow a 3 rail trailer with it. Most of the time it has a 450 and a 50 on it, but have had two 450's, a 50, and gear on it without a problem.