Sign in to follow this  

09 KX450 EFI help, please!

My EFI Map was changed to "beginner" setting. Significantly "retarded" engine and took lots of "hit" or power out. I ran this setting a few different rides.

I changed this to the next Map setting to increase the power and hit. Immediately went out on the track and third lap it died in a corner on me (thankfully it wasn't over a big jump).

The bike wouldn't start. I "re-Mapped" the thing three times and even changed it back to stock FI setting. Bike still would not fire.

My friend has same bike. He takes his ECU off and plugs it into my bike. My bike starts right up. He takes my ECU and plugs it into his bike. His bike starts right up. Granted, we didn't run his ECU in my bike for any test laps and nor did he run my ECU in his bike for any test laps--just starting purposes.

Any ideas of what's wrong? Any feedback/advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Sounds like a connection wasn't connected right. Very strange thou. Make sure the connector is clean and fully connected and try it again. If that doesn't work you could have a loose pin in one of the plugs and that could cause your problem. I've had to do this a lot on my trucks and only once on my 09 KX450f. On my bike it turned out to be a loose connector. Goo luck. Cheers

Thanks ridintolive! I'm hoping. It started raining so we bagged the diagnostics and will get back to it this week. Will keep you posted.

sounds good man. I do all my diagnosing in the garage, makes it easier since all my tools are there. Also I have a controlled environment that way too. Also if your looking for the hardest hitting map for your bike, once you got it running, you should use the soft ground conditions map. It is awesome for power. I used that map as a base map and tweaked it since I have modded the motor internals a bit and run race fuel. I also just got my air/fuel data logger so I am gonna get my air/fuel ratio perfect and hopefully pick up some more power. cheers man.

Ridintolive: we went over my bike today and checked all the connections. all seem fine. problem we found? sparkplug had no spark. we put new plug in and still no spark. why could this be?

something electrical is going on and can't figure. remember, my ecu works in my buddy's bike so i'm thinking it can't be that. ecu connector wire/pins all seem fine. stador?

From what I gather you have swapped ECU's and that worked. That leads me to believe that a pin at the ECU isn't connecting right for some reason. I would try kicking the engine over while you wiggle the wires at the connector and see what happens. The electrical schematic in the manual can tell you what each wire is if need be. If that doesn't work for you, check the connectors that are in the spark circuit. Your problem seems to lie in that circuit but as far as where I have no clue. You might need to get a ohmmeter to test the continuity of the harness or the resistance through components, while checking the harness wiggle the wires, might cause a reaction for you. I have also on previous bikes had the spade connector on the capacitor come loose and only allow starting intermittently. Good luck and cheers

thanks! well we rechecked my friends ECU on my bike. yes it started, but the motor died after about a minute of letting the bike run. going to check the wires/connector, etc like you said...will keep you posted.

had about the same problem with my bike (see diferent post about this problem ).

The ECU-box was damaged and needed to be replased. New box in now and works perfect for 4 hours of riding..

Kawasaki stod for the cost of the new ecu-box.

thanks! well we rechecked my friends ECU on my bike. yes it started, but the motor died after about a minute of letting the bike run. going to check the wires/connector, etc like you said...will keep you posted.

Alright so we know all components are functioning at least now. Is it possible your fuel line has something blocking full flow of fuel? Just thought I would ask about the fuel thing, there has been talk about the fuel pumps failing after a big crash, no idea what fails in them though. When you check the connectors, put some die-electric grease in them, prevents corrosion from forming which is never good. But back to your bike only running for a minute. What happens when you connect your ecm to your buddies bike? Does it stay running till you turn it off? If it does then your ecm is fine. I did some checks on my bike for you regarding the tip over sensor and it takes about a minute to kill the bike once the bike is tipped over. Possibly check that sensor, a good hit can mess up the strangest things. The service manual should be able to help you diagnosis the sensor if it is messed up. Best of luck. Cheers

First of all, hi from the uk!

I saw this thread and had to share my story so far of efi problems.

I have a 2009 kxf450, I run a 5% richer fuel map in it, all has been well since i bought the bike around november 08, then I came to ride it after the winter off and a rebuild and all was still ok....then on the 3rd ride back I was racing, during the race i had a misfire, just a split second cough the everything was ok again, I didnt think anything of it until the next weekend I rode and ever since the misfires have been of varying lengths and completely random, not related to heavy landing or throttle position or anything only shows its self after 2 laps or so. I started trying to find this fault, I changed the plug HT lead and coil and plug cap, and thought that would be that....still there, I cleaned out the fuel filter, still no joy, swapped my tank for my friends tank to eliminate the pump, still misfires. So this weekend im swapping the ignition cover and ECU to see if I have any joy. I will also keep you posted!