Sign in to follow this  

144sx clutch problem?

So i think theres something wrong with my 08 144sx's clutch. When i go to take off, weather im just slowly letting it out, or im going for a holeshot, its very jerky and grabby, like im dumping it almost. It like grabs, then goes, grabs more, untill im moving. It doesnt ALWAYS do it strangley, but maybe 70% of the time it does.

Also, it makes a weird noise. Like sometimes its a little squeal, or sometimes its like you can just hear something rubbing, its really hard to describe. But ive never heard it on another bike

Fluid isnt low, and the clutch isnt slipping at all. Changing oil and using different kinds of oil doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

do two thiings. Start with the easy one, bleed the hyd clutch system, info on how-to is in FAQ in this forum. After that it may be that you have a grooved or broken clutch basket. You may have a broken clutch plate. You can check the basket by looking in the oil filler hole with a light and see the edge of the clutch basket. Look for wavy lines on the aluminum fingers of the basket. Or lay bike on its side and take the round clutch cover off to look at it. A very small amount of grooving can make the clutch act funny.

do two thiings. Start with the easy one, bleed the hyd clutch system, info on how-to is in FAQ in this forum. After that it may be that you have a grooved or broken clutch basket. You may have a broken clutch plate. You can check the basket by looking in the oil filler hole with a light and see the edge of the clutch basket. Look for wavy lines on the aluminum fingers of the basket. Or lay bike on its side and take the round clutch cover off to look at it. A very small amount of grooving can make the clutch act funny.

Sounds like you have the wear on the clutch basket to me with the waviness in the tabs on the basket. If you do you can to a bit of touch up to smooth it out but you will need a new basket soon. Buy and aftermarket one from Hinson, Barnett etc.

Joe

filing ALWAYS works the first time IF the fingers are not cracked. You have to remove the basket and look for cracks at the base of the fingers. Ive NEVER had to file one twice.

So i looked in the oil filler hole, and i didnt see any wavy lines on the clutch basket fingers, but on ONE of the fingers there was like a notch or groove cut into it. What would that be? I have a picture if it helps

just take the side cover off, it takes like three seconds and you can take the plates out too and see if any are cracked

I was, but i dont have a gasket, and im going riding this weekend and i dont think i can get a gasket in by then

If you are gentle with them you wont need a new one

is the notch or groove at the top right of the photo? That is where the grooving happens on that surface where the plates edges hit the edges of the basket fingers.

Use silicon to glue the cover back on if you dont have a gasket. It is a low pressure area and just needs to be sealed. Get a razor blade and slowly remove the cover using the blade to peel the gasket off any where that it sticks and maybe you will get lucky.

I'm betting its a broken or at least cracked clutch plate. If so, you don't want to go riding this weekend with it like that.

Well its done this for a while, its not just a brand new problem. Could it still be a broken plate?

yes it could be, take that round cover off, then remove the 6 or so 10mm head bolts and pull the plates out. Look at the basket fingers for the wavy edges and get a flashlite and check the base of the fingers for cracks. Lay the clutch stuff upside down on the center hub that comes off and then one by one take then off and turn the over in a stack so they stay in proper order. Look for broken pieces or friction material that is missing/worn thru. It could also be that some of the plates are warped. Lay them each on a flat piece of glass to see if they are flat. Let us know.