Sign in to follow this  

2009 clutch question?

My clutch has finally given out:foul:!! Hardly any of the sweep in the lever has control of the clutch. Very "notchy". I need to go ahead and get one ordered but I'm confused on a what to do. I broke it down and measured up the plates and was surprised to see the friction plates are still in spec. The steel plates are not warped but are very bluish black. They have def. been heating up a bit too much.

The basket has no grooves edged in from the friction plate tabs yet so I'm thinking I can save 250 bucks there.

The inner hub(boss) does has some serious grooves on the drive side from the steel plates. I defiantly want to replace it.

I think I can get away with the boss, and all new plates and springs.

Any suggestions on whether I should go with OEM or after market?

I'm ex two stroker so taking it easy on the clutch isn't too easy. Want something to last me.

Thanks guys

replace the hub with the OEM hub. There should be no problems there. OEM plates are terrible and cheaply made at best. They are a high wear item so they don't put alot of effort into those plates. Go get the Tusk Clutch kit. Mine cost me $45 and its an EBC in disguise. They fit better than oem and the other clutch components take less of a beating because of it. Soak the plates in some oil, preferrably overnight before installation and when it comes time to replace the clutch basket, get the Wiseco. It has a lifetime warranty.

Good luck

Get a hinson clutch kit. You dont want to go cheap on your clutch, these fuel injected bikes have a ton of torq. Their clutch has to works overtime.