Sign in to follow this  

The start of my Motovan

I have decided to post the pictures I took this weekend. This is my 1998 GMC Savana EXT. It has 82,000 miles and I bought it for $2,800. I started on it last Monday and this is where I'm at so far. I started off by gutting the entire interior behind the front seats. I cut and layed the new plywood flooring, filled in any cracks with spray foam, and put in R13 insulation along the walls and ceiling. I bought peg board and wrapped it in carpeting and then hung it. I used peg board so if I ever need to hang anything, I can poke around for the holes and hang peg board hooks. I liked the look of the carpeting rather than plain peg board, plus it helps to dampen the sound. I taped down the carpet on the floor. I'll be using the couch for rear seating. It's actually an RV sofa bed, so it will fold down to use as a bed when going on trips. It fits in perfectly but I will be making a new frame for it because the frame hangs over the step inside the van a little too far. I still have several things I plan on doing to finish it up and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on my progress. http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac226/Luke928/1998%20GMC%20Motovan/

Edited by Luke 928

.....I bought peg board and wrapped it in carpeting and then hung it.....

Looks very nice

I like the carpet on the peg board

What did you use ? (on the walls)

👍

No the rabbit wont be going with. The carpet on the peg board, is indoor outdoor carpet (the thinner stuff from Menards .45 cents sq ft), and glued to 3/16 peg board, I used a rolling pin to get the glue to bite to the carpet. I'll be posting some more pics maybe by to night.

I wished I could find me a utility van that nice for under 3 grand.

seems like all the ones i see they have over a hundred K miles and want over 3k for them.

Keep up the good work and dont forget to put down D-rings or something so you can hook the bike to.

Here are some new pics. Don't mind the cat. She's my little helper. The pics are from last week, I just haven't had a chance to get them up. As of today, I thoroughly cleaned the cockpit area because the previous owners were heavy smokers and all the plastic pieces were heavily tarred. I also installed my new Sony head unit and some other goodies that I will take some more pics of later. 1998GmcMotovan018.jpg This isthe rear door panels. I cut out parts of the van doors so I could put some 6 1/2 speakers, and a little storage too. 1998GmcMotovan020.jpg1998GmcMotovan021.jpg1998GmcMotovan022.jpg1998GmcMotovan019.jpg In this one I sprayed insulating foam on the back of the door panel because the van door has a curve to it and this will help keep the wood panel flat in the round part of the door. 1998GmcMotovan025.jpg1998GmcMotovan027.jpg1998GmcMotovan024.jpg

I forgot one pic. And yes D ring will be bolted in also along with the bike shoe for long trips. 1998GmcMotovan023.jpg

Here are some more pics. Over the last few nights I finished cleaning the interior, mounted the new front seats, installed a kick-ass stereo, and put in the rv sofa/bed. The bike shoe is just sitting there for the picture, it's not mounted yet. I plan on building side compartments in the rear with fold up beds, so I can sleep 3 or 4 people and haul 3 bikes, just not at the same time.1998GmcMotovan3002.jpg1998GmcMotovan3003.jpg1998GmcMotovan3004.jpg1998GmcMotovan3005.jpg1998GmcMotovan3006.jpg1998GmcMotovan3007.jpg

this is exactly what i want to do. its awesome! what is that for a van? is it an extended one?

Yes this is the extended 1 ton, Im thinking of converting it to 4wheel drive. has enyone ever attemped this? Would I be able to take a 1 ton truck front-end ( modify if needed ) and make it work.

Yes this is the extended 1 ton, Im thinking of converting it to 4wheel drive. has enyone ever attemped this? Would I be able to take a 1 ton truck front-end ( modify if needed ) and make it work.

Ask yourself if you REALLY need 4x4. For beach driving...its something I use weekly so it was worth the $$,$$$.

I bought a quigley already converted, but if I was going to do the conversion myself I would seriously look into a "ujoint" kit:

Great job on the van BTW.

http://www.ujointoffroad.com

860_van_downtown.jpg

+1 on the cubby hole. I think I need to check my Craigslist for something like this. Get an AC adaptor to hook up a portable AC unit. Have it running during those hot days so you can get off the bike and get in the 60 degree van to relax.