Sign in to follow this  

Xr/crf200 conversion

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any information that will help me with my project.

I have an 05 CRF450 roller that I'm going to convert with an XR200 motor. I'm choosing the 200 motor because I read right here on TT that this motor fits much better in modern frames than the xr250 motor. The 17 pound reduction in weight comparred to the 250 motor is a deciding factor for me as well. I read that Charlie T did this conversion with the crf450 without having to modify the cradle. I'd really appreciate his input as well as anyone else that is willing to give me some guidance. I haven't aquired the motor yet,and some of the questions I have at the moment are as follows,and again,any advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated. I've wanted to do a conversion like this for many years.

Do all the xr200 motors store all the oil in the motor or do some years have oil in the frame?

Is it a good idea to run an oil cooler?

Will the head pipe clear the CRF450 down tube on the frame? and if so,will a larger diameter,aftermarket header clear?

Should I stay with a similar motor angle as the stock xr200?

Will I need to modify the kick starter to clear the frame and or the peg?

Does the stock 200 run a 520 chain or lighter?

Aside from these current questions, I'd appreciate any other information also. Detailed info on motor mounts and such will obviously be of great help.

I realize that the power is going to be way less than what I'm use to,but I'm at a point now that less power is what I want. I ride tight trails, and small tight,fun tracks so I think this will be an excellent bike.

I would like to post pictures of the build on TT if anyones interested.

Thank you very much in advance for everyone's help,

Wayne

Thanks Yogi Bear, I did pm Charlie T,and will hopefully hear from him. I also found his thread from like 06,and saw some pictures which were very inspiring. I was a little bummed to read that his motor blew up,especially after reading how reliable these things are. I guess it can happen to any motor,and who knows what the motor had been through before he got it.

Thanks a bunch, wayne

Do all the xr200 motors store all the oil in the motor or do some years have oil in the frame? Yes in the motor.

Is it a good idea to run an oil cooler? Maybe but it is recomended not to mess with the 200 oil system, just make sure you have a shorty front fender for air flow.

Will the head pipe clear the CRF450 down tube on the frame? and if so,will a larger diameter,aftermarket header clear? I don't know; look at a XR200 frame, not much clearance.

Should I stay with a similar motor angle as the stock xr200? YES

Will I need to modify the kick starter to clear the frame and or the peg? YES the foot peg, see last answer

Does the stock 200 run a 520 chain or lighter? 520

Aside from these current questions, I'd appreciate any other information also. Detailed info on motor mounts and such will obviously be of great help.

I realize that the power is going to be way less than what I'm use to,but I'm at a point now that less power is what I want. Powroll makes a stroker kit that along with their big bore piston, torque cam and exhaust provides about a 30% HP increase and provides more torque than a stock XR250 and along with more rpm on the top.

I ride tight trails, and small tight,fun tracks so I think this will be an excellent bike. I have a modded XR200 and a MX chassis with a 200 motor and if you ride tight trails you will not like the 58" wheelbase of the MX chassis, the stock XR200 chassis is 54.5" and works better on tight technical.

I put a 200 motor in a MX chassis and if I did that again I would consider using the XR200 engine cradle but that would be a problem with an AL frame. IMO it is easier to mod a XR200 chassis than put a 200 motor into a MX chassis which is why my latest project is XR based. Kick starter and foot pegs are in a different location on xr200 and MX bikes so kicker foot peg interferance is a problem. For ease of starting you need full kicker travel.

Hi from memory Charlie T had to cut a chunk outa the CRF downtube for header pipe.

I have a modified 200 in 99 YZ250 frame.

Regarding the oil cooler, I have one as bike gets reved alot

I use semi sythetic maxima oil

The inlet manifold was the biggest problem.

Bike is great on MX track, trailriding, tight forestry

and X country races. Seems to outhandle newer bikes in rough going at speed and downhills (thats where I get to pass others, not be passed)

Im looking at trying to fit my XR 250R engine in YZ400

frame as I feel this would be a nice setup (more power and similar handling)

Good luck

Jeff

I have a 02 crf450 chassis with 200 motor great bike. give me some areas that you would like some photos from and I will get them taken for you.

I'm in the process of putting an xr200 motor in a 2002 CR125 frame, so I'd love to see any photos you post.

I've done a xr100 into a CR80 and a XR200 into a CR85, so this is my third conversion.

- Brad