Sign in to follow this  

Vin help

where is the vin hiding on a CR250

i know its on the neck of the bike

but the frame has been powder coated and you cant read it anymore

so where else can i find out the year of this bike

Obliterating a VIN on any motor vehicle is a felony in my State, intentional or not. Be careful with that.

Obliterating a VIN on any motor vehicle is a felony in my State, intentional or not. Be careful with that.

the vin number is still there

just got powder coated over

is there any other place that has the year stamp

You could compare parts to the year you think the bike is and see if it matches. Like the frame, plastics and etc..

hard to do

i want to put new exhaust pipes on it but i dont know if its a 91 or 96

Usually would be a number on the motor also. You should be able to google like 1996 xxxx and get to see various pictures of bikes. Just compare some of the shape of the plastics ect. Even if you bike is not the original style.

Yea, there is quite a bit difference between the 91 and 96 CR 250, in terms of how it looks. But there is a number on the motor that correlates with the year of the bike. Or start sanding and looking for the VIN on the head.

The motor will have a serial number the first 4 digits are the model code. If the model code changed during those years you would have your answer, but Honda doesn't change model codes except at major redesign.

If you carfully sand the powder coat down on the right side of the steering head the VIN will reveal itself. A little clear coat will protect everything. The tenth digit of the VIN is the model year code. 1996 is the letter T, 1991 is the letter M.

I had one of my frames powder coated as well. On my frame, if you use a flashlight and shine it on it just right you can still read the Vin#. Just thought I'd throw that out there......

same here I believe, thats why they mask off the vin and then clearcoat over it after coating it.

I belive permatex gasket remover is quite good at removing powdercoat but not sure if you could do it in a nice little stip or not. My guess is no, just a thought

Can u see vin at all? Maybe scratching over it with a piece of paper and pencil will show something, it works on CSI on guns...lol

same here I believe, thats why they mask off the vin and then clearcoat over it after coating it.

I belive permatex gasket remover is quite good at removing powdercoat but not sure if you could do it in a nice little stip or not. My guess is no, just a thought

Can u see vin at all? Maybe scratching over it with a piece of paper and pencil will show something, it works on CSI on guns...lol

yes you can some what see the vin.

i tried the pencil the trick sadly it did not work for me

i will try and find it on the engine tonight