05 kx250 rebuild questions

have had some ping in lately when i am really on the pipe/

was racing today and in my 2 nd moto the bike started really bogging down and then would act fine, then bog and act fine.

my thoughts are the kips.

figgure if i am going to replace it, while i have the cylender off i may as well rebuild the top end.

my questions is?

what brand piston and rings do you guys like the best? oem?

any other tricks while i am in there?

thanks

my bike has ran killer every weekend since last summer. jetting is not the problem. i also have zero spooge and my bike idles like a dream. i run it at 40:1

today was the first sign of problems.

• 2 weeks later...
have had some ping in lately when i am really on the pipe/

was racing today and in my 2 nd moto the bike started really bogging down and then would act fine, then bog and act fine.

my thoughts are the kips.

figgure if i am going to replace it, while i have the cylender off i may as well rebuild the top end.

my questions is?

what brand piston and rings do you guys like the best? oem?

any other tricks while i am in there?

thanks

Buy the wiseco racers choice single ring piston with the TiN coated ring. There's nothing else on the market that compares. Vertex is a good forged piston too. Oem is really junk and has no place in a HP 2 stroke when they're are high quality forged aftermarket pistons that are superior in every way, available to you.

You say you just started hearing pinging? Sounds like a lean condition.

I disagree. What would cause it to be serviced more often than the pro lite setup?

You should know this as much as you're on TT! 👍

Racer’s Choice refers to pistons packed with performance enhancements, to produce the maximum power possible out of each application. Most of the Racer’s Choice pistons are single ring 2-stroke or two ring 4-stroke pistons. With one less ring, weight and friction are reduced, power is increased, and throttle response is instantaneous! Racer’s Choice pistons offer extra performance to those racers and engine builders who want the most in every race. Note: Service intervals may be increased with Racer’s Choice pistons over conventional Wiseco pistons, and are for expert racers and tuners only.

You should know this as much as you're on TT! 🤣

Did I catch a "tone" in your post? lol

Ok Jinx here's why I disagree:

First of all, the racers choice is different than the pro-lite in a couple ways, It has a thicker dome in order to handle higher compression, a longer skirt in order to keep it from rocking in the bore and keep it from distorting at high RPM, and is a little bit heavier as well. What this means is the racers choice is designed to be a MORE DURABLE piston than the pro-lite. This is obviously because this piston was used in the factory bikes and they needed a durable piston and get increased performance at the same time. And this is what Wisone told me.

What you are insinuating is that because the RC piston is FOR racers it is LESS durable than the Pro-lite thus requiring a shorter maintenance schedule. This would be incorrect as the RC piston is a more durable version of the Pro-lite. So in reality, the Pro-lite should be changed more frequently than the RC piston. These are facts:smirk:

And before someone chimes in and says the single ring wears out faster... This is another TT myth (like OEM is best 👍) that needs to die. Think about it, whether there be one or 2 rings they will be wearing equally as the piston moves up and down. Thinking that somehow a worn out bottom ring will seal the HUGE pressure that the worn out top ring will not is ridiculous. The single ring has less friction and with the TiN ring, as Wiseone and Chokey said, it will probably outlast the piston.

So in conclusion, someone who wants the absolute best performing and longest lasting piston set up would obviously choose the RC set up over everything else. Its science.