Arkansaw WI was sweet today

I read "The J-ROD" post about helping out the good people at Arkansaw WI's moto track. It sounded like the track owners were receptive to feedback, and it sounded very cool of Mr. ROD to go down there and help out.

The results were very fun. In the AM and early PM, the track was damp and very, very nice. The jumps were well-formed, the landings were nice, and we had a blast. There was some challenging sections, like that downhill double, but it was a hoot when I finally made it. Two thumbs up from my friend Scoops and myself!

I thought I maybe saw Kevin on the track, but I don't remember numbers very well, so I wasn't sure, I forgot Matt's number, and I couldn't see anyone I recognized pitted anywhere. I hope my fellow TTers had as much fun as we did, I was a mess quickly, very out of shape! My bike worked fantastic, I love that thing, and those Bridgestone tires worked very well, very predictable sliding.

All in all it was nice to be back on a track after a long cold winter and coming back after surgeries! Nicely done Arkansaw and The J-ROD, that track was enjoyable.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah,

Matt, Jordan & I were there.

We were parked on the (Overlook) directly up from the sign up / shelter.

I had trouble (i.e. PAIN) with my ankle, which I expected.

I went out twice.

Matt had his new B Class numbers on (#65) and I am still wearing my old C numbers (#71).

My bike is sporting MUGEN Graphics and I can say the ONLY bike that looks this way.

Until I get a job squared away, riding is "once in awhile" and racing is out.

As for my ankle, the swelling is down to normal, and it still hurts to walk. I cannot run as the pounding on my ankle is too much. I was hoping my SHOWA suspension would absorb enough impact.

Maybe some WORKS SHOWA stuff is in order...??? ?

NOT !!!!

Too bad (we) did not know you were there, Steve.

Arkansaw was extremely fun yesterday! The track changes were great, and never have I ever ridden on a mint track in the month of March in this area before.

Here's a couple helmet cam videos of the new track changes (from a quad, very C class perspective):

I was pimping my yellow backgrounds as well, #369, white and black Yamaha 250F. It was very fun.

Today I feel like I got hit by a mack truck. Wow, take a year off, and sit around all winter, and man have I lost fitness.

Anyone know who the lady was taking pictures? might be interesting to see how squiddish I looked. ?

Anyone know who the lady was taking pictures? might be interesting to see how squiddish I looked. ?

Yeah, I do - his name is Ryan! I can ask him if he has any pics of you next time I talk to him but that might not be for a while. I think I may have ridden behind you for a bit as I remember following a white bike with B plates on it for a while. You were riding pretty well! There were sections of the track where my bike was working OK and others where I thought I would die from the pounding I was taking from my forks. I guess I need to set my sag and figure out what's going on! My front tire was knifing on the turns and just MAJORLY harsh through the whoops and braking bumps. I thought my hands were going to break off!

Yeah, I do - his name is Ryan! I can ask him if he has any pics of you next time I talk to him but that might not be for a while. I think I may have ridden behind you for a bit as I remember following a white bike with B plates on it for a while. You were riding pretty well! There were sections of the track where my bike was working OK and others where I thought I would die from the pounding I was taking from my forks. I guess I need to set my sag and figure out what's going on! My front tire was knifing on the turns and just MAJORLY harsh through the whoops and braking bumps. I thought my hands were going to break off!

oh crap, never got close to the photographer, just assumed it was the same lady as last year!

you should have tried my bike... probably too soft for your liking, but I just love it. I might actually have to dial in some compression! Scoops' CRF250 was killing his hands too. The guy who revalved his suspension isn't around any more, so we were thinking of just revalving his ourselves. He likes mine, but wants it maybe a little bit stiffer.

Maybe try a little less compression damping?

That downhill jump was thrilling, no? It took me all day to try it.

Don't worry about it - when I saw him last from a distance I thought he was a woman too!

I would have swapped bikes if I had known it was you!

I will def back out the compression and set the sag. It's never really been set since I had them re-done. It might need a bit less oil too.

That surprises me - I thought they could make that a bit bigger. It was fun but pretty easy. I think Jordan said they will work on that and some other places next time.

oh crap, never got close to the photographer, just assumed it was the same lady as last year!

you should have tried my bike... probably too soft for your liking, but I just love it. I might actually have to dial in some compression! Scoops' CRF250 was killing his hands too. The guy who revalved his suspension isn't around any more, so we were thinking of just revalving his ourselves. He likes mine, but wants it maybe a little bit stiffer.

Maybe try a little less compression damping?

That downhill jump was thrilling, no? It took me all day to try it.

ahhhhh, I'm a sissy sometimes. I didn't do that one double in the far left corner until the end of the day as well!

That downhill one was a mind trip! You couldn't see the landing, just "had to have faith" and charge at it. I thought it was very fun once I started making it! It felt high, because the ground falls away from you.

I had a lot of fun for sure! It feels so good after taking last year off from those surgeries to be able to ride again. It's so fun! I'm so fat and soft, I hope riding often this year will help get me "back to normal".

Actually, the single track opens this week-end I believe.

Jordan and myself hope to get out again this coming week-end. Probably Saturday seeing as how Sunday is Easter and all.

Probably not Arkansaw though.

I still want to go to Meadow Valley, Matt. Hurricane Hills would work me thinks too.

On the Arkansaw front, Eric and myself have got lots of ideas for the track, some of them we will be starting next weekend.

1. Steeper and better landings for all the jumps

2. New rhythm section where the whoops are

3. Little bit longer step down

4. Revised corners

5. Add a jump after the double in the back corner

6. New whoops that will go down then back up hill (located in straight after where old whoops were)

7. If we can get enough dirt, sometime add a second landing for the step up by the shed

Arkansaw was extremely fun yesterday! The track changes were great, and never have I ever ridden on a mint track in the month of March in this area before.

Here's a couple helmet cam videos of the new track changes (from a quad, very C class perspective):

Hahaha, so that was you I was chatting with! I was thinking, "hey, this guys pretty cool for a quad rider!" ???

Hahaha, so that was you I was chatting with! I was thinking, "hey, this guys pretty cool for a quad rider!" ???

Haha thanks! Bikes and quads have been interchangeable with our immediate group, and I like both kinds of machines. It was cool getting to know everyone out there yesterday, and believe me, I had plenty of time to walk around after the crash!

Actually, I just got the steering post straightened and I'll definitely be back riding somewhere again next weekend.

Jordan,

Thanks again for the help this weekend, Let me know when or if you will be coming down. I think I am going to be down after work Friday night and Saturday morning to touch things up, then I have to do the easter thing.... My dad will be around all day friday as well.

I don't know if I talked to you, but Scoops and I for sure sat by the starting gate and chatted with your buddy on the pimpin' new '09 YFZ450. His plastics kinda matched my '09 YZ250F (anniversary edition)! Seems like a nice fella, I can kinda relate, his older quad was still working better than his new one; that was the case for a while with my '06 to my '09 YZ250F, now I prefer the '09.