Sign in to follow this  

Question about swingarm and connecting rod collars

Hi everyone,

I just took my entire swingarm and linkage apart and found everything to be in decent order (some of the seals need replacing).

One thing I'm wondering about is, on the swingarm and connecting rod collars (the tubes that sit inside the bearing), there is some rust/corrosion on the ends where the collar touches the oil seal, and only there.

Has anyone else seen that? My bike has 30 hours on it and has seen a lot of swamp... I'm just not sure if everyone who takes this apart has this same condition.

Input would be good. I think I'll still replace the collars, in total the collars will cost me about 35$ (parts are expensive here in Canada!)

I know the factory doesn't put enough grease in the bearings, but its hard to believe that you would need to replace the collars already.

I have used a wire brush to clean them up enough to reuse them. I would give it a try.

Yeah, and the weird thing is that the Relay Arm collars are in perfect condition.

The swingarm collars are only corroded at the inside oil seal end, but the connecting rod collar is corroded at both oil seal ends.

Yeah, I probably should have taken it apart when I received it in its brand new shape.

Well, a couple collars and all the seals are going into it brand new now.

I would use scotch pads not a wire brush. They come up quite well and functional but not pristine. If the surface is not too pitted they are good to reuse as the discoloured bit is external to the actual bearing.

Yeah, it isn't really pitted but I'm still going to replace them. For 30$ I'd rather just go brand new, especially because it's a hell of a job to take it apart. It'll give me peace of mind and next year when I take it apart I won't have any reasons to suspect wear.

Yes, some rust outboard of the oil seals is pretty much normal, especially if you ride in the wet and mushy stuff and don't wash the bike as soon as you get home.

When I first lubed the rear suspension on my used 2009 WR-250F, there was some rust on these collars outside of the seals, but carefully polishing them with a Scotchbrite pad and WD-40 took care of that.

As long as you don't mar the area that's inside of the seals, you'll be OK.

Be careful not to damage the seals.

If I were to find they were badly rusted and badly pitted, I'd get new ones.

What I do is wash the bike when I get home from a ride and spray WD-40 over these areas to fight rust from forming on these pieces of exposed steel. 👍