Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s full exhaust which one to buy?

I have A bone stock 06 DRZ400s I am thinking A yosh ss full system but don't know which one? The more I read the more confused I get (rs2,rs3,E vs. S models) I want the best but not alot of head aches! I also plan on rejetting and 3x3 mod at the same time I live in Oregon at sea level any input on this would also be appreciated.

I have a Yosh RS2 and If I were doing it now I would go with the MRD or MRD/SSW system. Eddie the resident DRZ GURU designed them and they are built by a buddy of his to match or beat the performance of the Yosh Ti at half its price.

Unless you are trying to build a 60 hp track beast, I would go with the regular MRD system.

Do a search and you will find numerous threads and dyno charts.

I just got a muzzy full exhaust system on ebay from the manufacturer (i think theyre actually from oregon) for 235! Ya its not the best but for the price you cant beat it. It gave me a great performance gain and sound! I just couldn't justify the mrd or yoshi for the extra 300-400 bucks.....

just installed the fmf q4 with header $400 for the whole deal,

nice that the spark arrestor is removable. real quiet with it in and a thumper when removed.

Noticeable performance boost, looks better, and lighter. Would've went with the yoshi but might be to loud for the neighborhood

Get the best. That way you would never wonder, "What if,............?!!"🤣👍🙂

Get the best. That way you would never wonder, "What if,............?!!"🤣👍🙂

For 235 bucks full system I have never once asked this question.........also from the dyno tests looks like its right on the rs-2

Guess you haven't read up on this test then. 👍

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863213&highlight=

The original post here did not include an fcr, in my opinion the muzzy is the best bang for your buck, but for those who have the extra cash to spend there are better...as I stated in my 1st post! It all depends on how far he wants to take it and how much he wants to spend.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326770&highlight=muzzy+dyno the yoshi stanless and muzzy are 99% identical...

Edited by gtlegacy

i got the yosh trc pro ti system on a stock bike and never thought twice or looked back.it goes really well with the 3x3 airbox and keihin fcrmx 39 carb.it'll definitely put on a big grin from ear to ear.i only run a wide open pipe to take full advantage of the performance.that's the reason why i spent the money in the first place.

oh yeah,and i always wear ear plugs when i ride.

I think it is a waste of money to buy exhaust on a four stroke unless you want a specific look or a signature sound. On a two stroke a pipe is mandatory while on a four stroke it adds 1-2 HP on top and that is all in the muffler. I have both and both and my drz has stock exhaust with a little gutting. I had a nice Leo vance slip on, but I sold it because other than appearance It offered no improvement.

Good luck with your decision.

I think it is a waste of money to buy exhaust on a four stroke unless you want a specific look or a signature sound. On a two stroke a pipe is mandatory while on a four stroke it adds 1-2 HP on top and that is all in the muffler. I have both and both and my drz has stock exhaust with a little gutting. I had a nice Leo vance slip on, but I sold it because other than appearance It offered no improvement.

Good luck with your decision.

Think you should do some reading ,there's a HUGE difference in performance on exhausts systems to the DRZ , and it's not "All in the muffler" , the header is very important..

Read up some of the dyno results here, and you might learn a bit or two..

The facts are against you on this. There are a lot of four stroke bikes that get significant performance gains from a jet kit and an after-market exhaust. First-generation Bandit 1200s would pick up almost 10 hp.

As Eddie has said, and backed up with dynos, there is significant performance that can be gained with a less restrictive exhaust. Not with the exhaust alone, but an after-market exhaust is integral in making significant gains.

Finally, if all you had was an after-market can, then, yeah, it didn't help much, since for the S/SM, the bigger problem is the header. After-market muffler = more noise. After-market full exhaust = potential for more performance.

I have A bone stock 06 DRZ400s I am thinking A yosh ss full system but don't know which one? The more I read the more confused I get (rs2,rs3,E vs. S models) I want the best but not alot of head aches! I also plan on rejetting and 3x3 mod at the same time I live in Oregon at sea level any input on this would also be appreciated.

For performance, don't bother with slip-ons. On the S, you need a bigger header, too, for cost-effective performance gains.

I believe the E and S models of the Yosh pipes are the same diameter, just with different mounting points. Hopefully someone can confirm that.

Indeed, if you aren't planning on going down the path of an FCR carb, better cams, etcetcetc, there probably isn't enough performance difference between the Yosh and the other makes of full systems to really worry about. (Except, notably, the FMF Q4, which is demonstrably more restrictive than most--the price you pay for Quiet.) Get whichever you can find the best deal on, and/or that sounds or looks the best to you, etc.

If you are going to go down the "MOAR POWER!" path, (FCR, cams, big bore, high comp, etcetcetc) then just skip ahead to the MRD/SSW. Its been demonstrated by Eddie to give the best possible performance (equivalent to a Yosh ti system) for less dosh. Besides, MRD is two guys in California, so if you have problems with installation, etc, you can just call the guy who personally made your pipe and talk with him about it. You just can't do that kind of thing with companies like Yosh, Muzzy or FMF.

Oh, and on re-jetting... get the James Dean kit (available in the ThumperTalk store) and follow the directions. Or, learn to use the "Search this Forum" function and track down Eddie's recommendation for "3x3, JD jet kit, sea level." IIRC, the exhaust doesn't make any difference to the jetting at that level of tune.

I have a Yosh RS2 and If I were doing it now I would go with the MRD or MRD/SSW system. Eddie the resident DRZ GURU designed them and they are built by a buddy of his to match or beat the performance of the Yosh Ti at half its price.

Unless you are trying to build a 60 hp track beast, I would go with the regular MRD system.

Do a search and you will find numerous threads and dyno charts.

I wish they would quit offering the Std pipe. There is NO advantage to using a lesser pipe...especially when the price difference is $20-$30.

The MRD/SSW is by far the best value for any application. To do anything else is a compromise on either performance or price. Neither is a desireable compromise.

Having had 3 different full aftermarket systems on my bike...I will tell you it is far cheaper to get the right system the first time...then to lose money on each upgrade step you take. The lesser pipes are not equal in performance in any situation despite what anybody will tell you. The difference is not insignificant.

Let me dispell 1 other common myth. It is true that the major restriction of the stock system is the header...but the belief that any aftermarket header (even if it is slightly bigger...and many are not) will correct that problem is completely false. Only a tuned design will correct that problem. Currently there are only 2 offerings on the market that effectively correct that problem. Yosh TI and MRD/SSW. To select anything else...means you will have to upgrade at some point once you hit the ceiling with what ever step you chose to take...and that means money lost.

Now...that being said...Yes...I did notice a nice increase with each of the other 2 full systems I used on my bike. I also eventually learned that they were still significantly retricting the performance of my bike.

Another common thing I hear about is that certain compromise pipes are considered quiet. That is pattently false. Any aftermarket pipe increase noise considerably. These are quieted by makeing them more restricted...which destroys any performance gain they might have otherwise given. You can cork up any of the aftermarket offerings if you wish to quiet them...but you will negate any gain the pipe would have made. So if you want performance...your going to have to accept the noise.