1994 CR250R Won't Cold Start, but runs like a top

OK, after a ten (or more) year hiatus I decided I would buy a bike and try riding again. I found a 94 CR250 that was almost identical to the 92 I used to ride.

The problem is, from what I recall, and what the seller told me, the bike should be easy to start. So far I have yet to start it cold without cheating. (Either using ether [i know I shouldn't] or dropping it into gear on the hill I call my driveway)

Once it fires up and has come up to a decent temp I can't not start it. One kick no matter what when it's warm. It has plenty of juice, and seems to runs smooth. The top end all has less than 10 hours on it. I put a new plug in (BR8EG), have been running a 35:1 on Premium. I cleaned the entire fuel path. Still runs great and starts hot, but I will be damned if it will start cold. Reeds looked good while I had the carb out, but as I said it runs awesome once I get it to go so I assumed that. I have tried a couple of things such as tipping the bike, slow kicking it, or rocking it in gear before starting it with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? At this point I am thinking of selling it for a freaking horse. At least I know one kick and it will run.

Thanks, in advance.

Is your choke working properly? Have you tried adjusting the airscrew to richen the low circuit setting? If your pilot jet is to lean for the current temps that can cause it to be hard to start when cold.

take out the plastic choke assembly and look at it closely. they are prone to breaking internally and sometimes sticking. when you put it back in (or a new one if the old one is bad) do not overtighten or the plastic threads will break.

When you start a 2-stroke, unlike a 4-stroke, you have to roll on the throttle a bit while you kick the starter. This is for starting a hot bike. The mistake a lot of people make is to roll on the throttle while trying to cold start the bike with the choke on. Rolling on the throttle negates the effect of the cold start enrichment circuit (it's not actually a choke). The cold start circuit opens a valve which allows the vacuum created by you kicking the engine to draw fuel directly out of the float bowl. Opening the throttle reduces the amount of vacuum the engine can make and reduces the amount of fuel it gets.

If your technique is all correct, fattening up the pilot jet can help a bike start cold. Also, check your reeds.

I have been away and not had a chance to dismantle the choke. I am willing to bet the bike is set to run leaner than it should be. I managed to get a response from the seller, and found out he had the jet's done in Arizona last summer. Seeing as it I am in Canada, with the average temp right now being 32-40 F (0-5C) we might be a wee bit off. I will try and update when I get back home to check it out.

Thanks in advance for the tips. I didn't even think to check the choke itself.

Cheers