Sign in to follow this  

Tossed between a 450xc-w and a motocrosser

Maybe some of you with 450xc-w's can help me out a bit. I ride mostly trails and some cross-country/desert and occational mx. Ive owned a crf450, and recently 2 kxf250's which i setup for woods. I'm contemplating going back to a crf450 or something like or a 450xc-w. To get a crf setup for the woods I figure i need a pipe, sprocket, suspension re-valve and hand guards which still comes in much cheaper than the xc-w. Can anyone explain to me why i would choose the xc-w over a motocrosser 450? I guess my other worry is weight with the xc-w coming in a fair amount higher... any input would help! 👍

The 450xc-w has suspension tuned for off-road, 18" rear tire, electric start, 6 speed gear box, simpler design, and smoother power than a crf450. Also has the hooks for adding lights also. Consider getting a exc and get the plate. Basically the same bike with some smog stuff that can be removed. Since access to public land is getting worse and worse by the minute, it might be smart to get a bike with a plate to connect what is left of our trails after what Those Who Control make decisions on land use are done with their forest use plan. Based on what I've read, we'll be lucky to have any trails left when all is said and done.

LJ.

I appreciate your reply but dont think im ready to go to an exc.... maybe when i get older. Here's my thoughts... I can add an 18 and a heavier fly wheel and still get away with it... I do like the e start option and 6 speed though of the xc-w. I guess im just worried that the extra weight of the xc-w is going to wear me out because i think its around 20 lbs heavier than that of a crf.

I appreciate your reply but dont think im ready to go to an exc.... maybe when i get older.

You are aware that the EXC is just an XC-W with a couple extra smog hoses, taller sprockets, and turn signals, right? Same frame, motor, tranny, wheels, suspension, etc. I'm not sure what age has to do with it, unless you aren't old enough to get your license.

Either way, it sounds to me like you need to go find an XC-W/EXC to ride.

I don't think the weight is that noticeable. I guess if you were whipping it, you would feel the difference. If anything, it will be easier to ride because the motor is so much smoother. In some ways, the weight can be a benefit because the bike is more planted and just cruzes through trail junk where the the CRF would deflect.

I use to have a rm250 and that thing would wear me out even though it was 30 or so lbs less. It was the motor and stiff suspension that wore me out as opposed the weight. I will agree it was easier to pick up the rm250 than the KTM though when I crashed, and when I load it into the back of my truck!

Have you considered looking at the KTM 450 XCF.. It's right there between an MX bike and a trail bike.

I'd rather MX my 530EXC than trail ride my SXf450. Converting a MXer is doing it the hard way but if its all you know...

When my kid rides my EXC in off road after 2 years on a KXf450 he can't believe the difference. Its cheating or so he says. The gearing, the smoothness of power, traction, suspension. It all adds up. A 530 can go to true 610cc if you feel the need & has 2 range ignition too.

I went from a crf 450 and 300 ktm to ktm 450 6days, I had a trai ltech fly wheel and all off road goodies on my crf but it still was a beast in tight stuff if i geared low enough so the clutch would not fade then there was very little top end so I converted it back to just moto with and got the 300. i don't miss either with the 2010 6days the 6 speed had a gear for everything smoother power and the suspension with a couple clicks does fine for occasional moto on most sane tracks.

67scode

Have you considered looking at the KTM 450 XCF.. It's right there between an MX bike and a trail bike.

+ 1 on that idea

for most anyone who motos, an XCW just isn't going to have enough motor to make you happy. I had an 09 and I did ok with it, it hooks up good, but it is no powerhouse. Pretty much all the regional off road racers have gone to the 450xcf.

+ 1 on that idea

for most anyone who motos, an XCW just isn't going to have enough motor to make you happy. I had an 09 and I did ok with it, it hooks up good, but it is no powerhouse. Pretty much all the regional off road racers have gone to the 450xcf.

kind of what i figured... i guess i need to ride a xc and see how it handles. as far as the motocrosser deflecting, i understand with stock suspension, but I had my kxf and crf re-valuved and had gold valves put in it that made them super plush. when you look at the top off road guys you cant say that all of them are riding ktm either. I had my suspension setup by eric ducrey and he even told me it will be just as good as revalved ktm suspension once he was done... and it handles rocks and roots like a dream... unfortunately now that my shattered elbow is fully healed im ready to step back up to a bigger bike. I can also see how a 450 mx'er would wear you out, but what about a heavier fly wheel? wouldnt that solve the problem? I guess I just need to go ride a xcf and get this settled. 👍

I am sure that Eric Ducray will give you good advice, he has plenty of experience and speed to know what he is talking about.

I am sure that Eric Ducray will give you good advice, he has plenty of experience and speed to know what he is talking about.

ya, i only had him do my kawi but what a world of difference.... of course I'm sure he wouldnt mind selling me a ktm either. lol. Either way though, Im not to concerned about the suspension aspect with his work. One way or the other hes doing my suspension.

Have you considered the 505 XC-F? You can find some really good deals on this bike right now...trust me go with any bike that has the magic button and you will be happy. The 450 XC-W is a very snappy bike, throw another couple hundred bucks for JD jet kit, R&D Power Pump and a Good FMF pipe and you have exactly the bike yor looking for. The XC-W is only 15lbs more than the F models. Take off both the front light (put on a stndrd # plate) and the rear light and swith out the pipe and you will loss those 15lbs darn near. Just a thought....go ride that six days and you will buy it! The 6 speed, 18 inch rear wheel and correct gears will be much better than trying to gear down an MX'r. My buddy is fighting his YZ450F every time we go riding and he loves to jump on my bike because the suspension is perferct, it handles and corners like a dream and the power is more controlable for trails.

BTW, I checked the weight on the CRF 450R vs. the KTM. The CRF with fuel is 234lbs. The KTM without fuel is 247lbs. With fuel its 260lbs. Since the 450r only has a 1.5 gal tank, even with a 2 gal tank it would weigh 237.4 lbs. Thats 22.6 lbs lighter than the KTM.... thats quite a bit on an 80 mile race. Plus with the 450r you can retard the timing and change the fuel consumption to slow down the motor a little bit and not make it so abrupt... to where it's close to an 450x. Plus you can get a 450R 09 new for 5200 otd vs. a ktm 450 at around 8k. With the 3k savings and 22.6 lbs I'm just not sure how i can be talked into a ktm. I'd sure like to see ride one but again these numbers are what i see...

Check the weight on every other MX bike in the class and they are all right around 250lb. 450r is a great track bike but would not be my first choice as a crossover bike. Where we ride/race 50 mile loops I see alot of Xover Kawi 450s Xs and a ton of KTMs. So for me, performance and the cost of maintenance is always a factor. Finding the perfect Xover bike seems impossible.

The 450xcf might be the one. But for me now Ill keep stealing the neighbors 400exc on race day- and borrow the kids 250f for the track- and ride the XR where I need a plate.