Sign in to follow this  

Q silencer/Stealth?

On my 01 yz250 i currently have the Q silencer. What is the exact differences between the Q and the Q stealth? I dont think they make one for my year of bike just for the 02-10. How hard would it be to make one fit, and would it be much of a differnce would it be from what i already have?

The cross-section shape of the canister is the biggest difference you can see -- externally -- between the Q and Q Stealth. The Q has the traditional flat-sided canister while the Stealth has an oval-ized cylindrical shape. And of course, the Stealth is larger in diameter, and has the cool anodized finish.

As far as internal differences, I have not had a Stealth dissembled yet, so I'm not sure what silencing secrets lie inside.

There is no doubt that the Stealth is quieter than the Q, but surprisingly, the Stealth is lighter as well.

Our FMF Turbine Core S/A silencers ran 96+dBA.

The Q's were around 94dBA, and the Stealth's started at 92, then dropped to 88 after a couple of rides.

I bet the Stealth could be modified to fit the earlier ('96-'01) bikes, but it would take some cutting/bending/welding to make happen, specifically on the rear hanger.

If you do attempt putting a Stealth on your 2001, be sure take into account clearance for the rear brake caliper when the suspension is fully compressed. I believe the later bikes were designed with their silencers angled outward to accommodate this clearance.

Good luck!

Yes, the 02+ bikes accounted for swingarm clearance by tilting the silencer outward a few degrees. It looks bent but it is intentional. I've tried EVERY single spark arrestor available for the YZ250 and the Q Stealth is the most quiet fo sho. Yes, even the dBSnorkle thingy (not a S/A though).

Thanks guys....I might try it out if i can get my hands on a decent priced used one. I dont want to go cuttin and bending up a new one lol