Sign in to follow this  

1997 CR 250 any problems?

Im gonna buy a 97 cr250 for 600 dollars and the guy says it only needs a clutch and its bored .30 over, anything specific I should look at before buying it?

Thanks

There's not much you need to look at that is peculiar to this model. This unit does have an electronic "power jet" attached to the carburetor that sometimes quits working. The bike will still run, but the jetting will be a little richer in the mid and upper range. Some people disconnect the power jets on purpose and make appropriate jetting changes.

Verify whether the engine has good compression and whether it will run. Make sure the transmission will shift through all the gears (the bike doesn't have to be running or have good clutch plates for this check). Check the brakes, the condition of the sprockets and chain (if the teeth are sharp and pointy then it needs replacing). Make sure the rear suspension works (I bought a '97 cr250r last summer and the rear suspension was totally froze up tight -- cost me about $100 for all new bearings). Make sure the pipe and silencer are serviceable. Check for play in the steering head bearings by putting the bike in the air and pulling the front forks back and forth. Etc.

This model bike has a very durable and powerful engine that is a little weak on the bottom, but quite strong on the top. Most riders complained that the front forks were too harsh in stock form, but this can be corrected. Riders have also complained about the bike being too "rigid", but for the life of me, I don't know how that is a flaw, because I consider a flexible frame to be a liability. It might have to do with the engine transmitting more vibration to the rider than the older steel framed units. One thing most everyone agrees on is that if it is put together right and maintained, the drivetrain is about as bulletproof as they come. The overall reputation of the bike is that is handles below average for the year, but has above average power.

FTR, I enjoy my '97. I'm not a fast enough rider to be concerned about handling shortcomings. I do like the fact that I am usually the fastest 250t on the track (in a drag race, that is).

Regards,

Lynn